• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Carbon Fiber Jupiter

Well it's obviously not machined. But if they're like the carbon plates, I believe they're real cf

I believe they're real cf, I just wonder how thick through the arms. I wonder if its aluminum arms with a thin layer of carbon over the top, if its a thin hexcel core with a ply or two of cf laid up, or if its cf all the way through.

They must be a simple composite layup instead of machined CF because the price doesn't match the c six.

Well the C six is expensive just for the sake of being expensive. There are companies producing machined cf parts in other industries of similar complexity for a few hundred dollars.

other than that the stems on the jupiter are not true carbon fiber, there is no such thing as white carbon fiber. What is commonly called white carbon is really woven fiberglass cloth. Legally any fiber reinforced polymer can be sold as "carbon fiber". The colored carbon, red, blue, yellow, etc. is actually dyed kevlar. That really has no effect on cost though, unless you get into high modulus carbon the material is actually fairly cheap, and a simple flat layup does not take much in the way of tooling or labor. Its when you have to mold complex 3 dimensional shapes such as a bicycle frame that the cost goes up. Both because of the increased labor, and because those molds can cost $250,000+.

Ok I got my pair today to start showing accounts. I also got some new info. They will only be offered in SGH (which I already told you) and O Stores will get them. A pretty limited run of them as well so get em fast. Love the fit. They are much lighter than Jury and also feel really well made. I love the arms they are similar to the Carbon Plate and have a real clean look to them.

The fit is also nicer than a regular Jupiter Squared, feels a little wider. Jupiter Sq doesn't look quite right on me, but these look better.

Oh and twin shocks hinges, I love twin shock hinges!!!! So not only does the frame have Aluminum and Carbon Fiber, but titanium as well. Also comes with a hard Square O case.

Jupiter.jpg

The temples look really similar to the carbon fiber temples on the Ray Ban tech series (both Luxottica oddly enough).

So are these carbon fiber Jupiter's strictly SGH and Oakley store exclusives or will my independent OPD eventually have access to them? SGH sucks the big one so I try to avoid them like the doctor's office. And my closest O-Store is not close at all

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the C six is expensive just for the sake of being expensive. There are companies producing machined cf parts in other industries of similar complexity for a few hundred dollars.

One of the reason the C-Six is soo expensive is because it is soo many layers of compressed Carbon Fiber. If it was just a few layers of CF I would understand your point. But I believe it is 35 layers of CF which can be quite expensive as sheets of CF aren't cheap. Not to mention the way they had to sculpted and then ofcoarse the limited production run.

But as far as I know the Jupiter is legit carbon fiber. But it is not compressed CF like the C-Six. So basically less layers = less material = lower price :smile:

But as far as I know the Jupiter is legit carbon fiber. But it is not compressed CF like the C-Six. So basically less layers = less material = lower price :smile:

This is what I am to understand as well. They will be online as well (sorry did not mention that) and if there is sufficient stock going into the holidays it will open up to select independent retailers.

Latest Posts

Back