• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Cerakote Vs. Matte / Black Vs. Ice Iridium?

Jackal

Oakley Beginner
I'm trying to decide between Gascan and Fuel Cell. If my measurements are correct, Gascan is closer to Monster Dog than Fuel Cell, and they seem to offer more color selections. I'm looking at Fuel Cell Steel Flags w/ black iridium, Gascan SI Milspec green w/ black iridium polarized, and Gascan matte w/ ice iridium polarized.

Which finish would be more "durable" plain matte black or the cerakote finish? Is there any difference between black and ice iridium polarized from the perspective of the person wearing them?

As far as finish the cerakote seems more durable after a while of use even with cleaning the matte start to get a greasy sheen, iridium is iridium they can both be scratched and are the same durability wise

Cerakote much more durable than regular matte.

Wearer will see practically no difference Black Polar and Ice Polar.
Both neutral lenses with same light transmission. Preference is on the colour of the iridium.

Thanks guys. I'm surprised about the size comparison to MDs. One review I saw stated that the Gascan lens was 35mm (1 3/8") tall and the Fuel Cell was 39mm (1.5") tall. My MDs are just under 35mm at the widest point. Could be bad info though and the frame thickness could change things a lot. Anyone have a photo comparison or experience with these to comment?

Cerakote is definitely more durable! As for the color, just pick which one you like more aesthetically.

As said cerakote is much more durable, but it is a little rough which isn't a problem for most people. As far as size goes the monster dog frame is actually a little larger than the fuel cell just more wrap. The lenses are a little shorter but it is definitely closer to the fuel cell then the gascan.

I don't have a MD at the moment but here are the others for comparison.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Thank you! I might have to go back to the Steel Flag then, only issue is no polarized lens in that particular model, but could possibly find ice polarized lenses only to swap around.

I found these models at ****'s Sporting Goods and tried on both. The Gascans are my fav, but just a HAIR on the smallish side compared to my worn in Monster Dogs. The Fuel Cells LOOK fine on my big ole mug, but they FEEL too large, loose, sloppy fitting. I think it would be between the Gascan and the Batwolf, but I left before trying the Batwolf on and I assume they would fit similarly to the Fuel Cell. Oil Rig is sweet too if you don't mind the far ear stems, but again, they seem to be the same size as Fuel Cell & Batwolf. I think the Valve is closest to Monster Dog, but didn't bother trying those on either.