• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Cerakote Vs. Matte / Black Vs. Ice Iridium?

While I'd agree Cerakote is expected to be more durable, in my experience the matte finish is pretty good. Insides do go smooth/glossy, but color itself never wears.

Thanks for the input. It looks like I will be deciding between matte / ice pol. Gascans and the SI milspec green / black pol. Gascans and I'm wondering if it is worth the extra $75 just to get the green cerakote and the "5.56 cal." icons. Any way to get these icons separately? Guess I could fore go the polarized lens on the milspecs to save $50, but I was looking forward to finally switching to polarized after 20 years.

I would think that the uncoated matte frame would be as durable as cerakote just because there isn't a painted surface to be damaged. I realize that the uncoated matte would probably show markings easier, but maybe a toss up?

Thanks for the input. It looks like I will be deciding between matte / ice pol. Gascans and the SI milspec green / black pol. Gascans and I'm wondering if it is worth the extra $75 just to get the green cerakote and the "5.56 cal." icons. Any way to get these icons separately? Guess I could fore go the polarized lens on the milspecs to save $50, but I was looking forward to finally switching to polarized after 20 years.

I would think that the uncoated matte frame would be as durable as cerakote just because there isn't a painted surface to be damaged. I realize that the uncoated matte would probably show markings easier, but maybe a toss up?
You'll never find those icons separately. Closest thing would be if you can find a customizer to recreate them w/ paint, but it'd be several bucks to do that and probably end up close to the same price as the OEM ones.

I see, thanks for helping get me up to speed. I'm only on my 3rd. pair in 20 years and the second pair was a replacement for the stolen first pair, so I really only "check in" with Oakley current events about every 10 years or so. VERY disappointing to find they are made in China these days and the price hasn't followed suit.

image.jpg
image.jpg
The Batwolfs do actually wrap a little tighter than the Fuel Cells even though they seem larger. They can look a little obnoxious though (some more than others...)

You'll never find those icons separately. Closest thing would be if you can find a customizer to recreate them w/ paint, but it'd be several bucks to do that and probably end up close to the same price as the OEM ones.

Yea the SI Gascans with the 5.56mm icons don't have the knock-out to pop them out. I REALLY like these, but there is one potential complaint. I shave my head and sweat from my head runs forward on the ear stems and down to the small cutout at the hinge area where it runs down my cheek or if heavy enough, bridges the gap and fills the bottom of the frame with sweat. This has only happened once though. These things are super light, and the black iridium polarized lenses seem to have a more mirrored finish than the non-polarized lenses on my Monster Dogs. The only real difference I notice in the polarized lens is more clarity / sharpness and cool looking color-shift on reflective surfaces through my window tint.