• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Changing Lenses On X Metals?

They changed the mold of the juliet so the orbitals of early ones are slightly bigger than later ones. Not a big problem, shim up the lens by placing a thin strip of paper inside the lens groove if you want

I always found the earlier Juliet orbitals to be tighter than the later ones produced. Lenses to seem to fit in and out of later frames far easier than the first releases in my experience.

interesting, what colorway and which gen? (serial)?
First gen X serial X Metal was super tight and also 2 of the early bone plasma finish Juliets were noticeably harder to fit into. The X serial x metal I could not even install a later pair of lenses into.

interesting, what colorway and which gen? (serial)?
I have a Polished Gen 1 Juliet with JB serial that I CAN'T get new Ice Iridium Polorized (2 different sets) but new BIP/FIP lenses fit just fine.

One thing I had done too was file the 2 mating surfaces where the orbitals mate, thus closing the orbitals tighter than the untouched ones.if you use a standard file it will cut on both sides so as you push the file and squeeze the orbs togeather it will create a uniform parallel mating surface, and no more loose lenses.

First gen X serial X Metal was super tight and also 2 of the early bone plasma finish Juliets were noticeably harder to fit into. The X serial x metal I could not even install a later pair of lenses into.

with tight, do you mean popping the lenses in (ie when you have to spread the orbital slightly in some frames in order to pop the lenses in) or after the screw has been tightened? because yeah, some of the old ones sem to be cast with the orbital lugs closer together so you have to spread the orbital abit to get the lenses in

also, are there casting defects inside the lens groove? I have always found my older pairs to have more wiggle room - but it could just be a "trend" in my pairs, and theres enough casting variation across all batches to cause this.

I have a Polished Gen 1 Juliet with JB serial that I CAN'T get new Ice Iridium Polorized (2 different sets) but new BIP/FIP lenses fit just fine.
my JB frame was stiff as well but it should be possible. the best angle to slide the lens in is the outer edge in first (that side of the frame flexes less), then around the top edge to the nosebride, then the lower half.

One thing I had done too was file the 2 mating surfaces where the orbitals mate, thus closing the orbitals tighter than the untouched ones.if you use a standard file it will cut on both sides so as you push the file and squeeze the orbs togeather it will create a uniform parallel mating surface, and no more loose lenses.

Yeah im guessing you refinish after that. im not going to be filing out between orbital lugs just for a trivial issue that can be solved with shimming, but thats just me =P

Last edited:
with tight, do you mean popping the lenses in (ie when you have to spread the orbital slightly in some frames in order to pop the lenses in) or after the screw has been tightened? because yeah, some of the old ones sem to be cast with the orbital lugs closer together so you have to spread the orbital abit to get the lenses in

also, are there casting defects inside the lens groove? I have always found my older pairs to have more wiggle room - but it could just be a "trend" in my pairs, and theres enough casting variation across all batches to cause this.

I found it was extremely difficult to get the lens into the frame no matter how much I tried to spread the frame, and once I did get a lens in, the distance between the lugs was much greater and very difficult for the screw to locate. I could not see any casting imperfections in the grooves at all.

Back