• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Check out the new Blog

@JenniJet2233
Great blogs, just read the last two. You've been busy. The parenting one got to me. I got married young and had my daughter (12 now) I was young and dumb... didn't know a thing about parenting. Even though I thought I was doing a good job, I really wasnt. Her mother was raised very strict and so her parenting was the same. I found myself just following that (path of least resistance) but what it did was make it difficult to have an open relationship with my daughter. I realized this once her mom and I divorced. Did a lot of soul searching and found that I was doing it all wrong. It's hard to undo what's done. I was never a mean parent but never allowed her to express herself freely like I should have. It's gotten better over the last 5 years and she is starting to open up more. Like your good man blog, parenting takes a lot of work too. Now im remarried and to the most amazing woman ever. We have a two year old that we raise in a completely different way that allows her to express herself. And oh boy does she! It's interesting to take a step back and see the difference. Wish I knew then what I know now. :)

@JenniJet2233
Great blogs, just read the last two. You've been busy. The parenting one got to me. I got married young and had my daughter (12 now) I was young and dumb... didn't know a thing about parenting. Even though I thought I was doing a good job, I really wasnt. Her mother was raised very strict and so her parenting was the same. I found myself just following that (path of least resistance) but what it did was make it difficult to have an open relationship with my daughter. I realized this once her mom and I divorced. Did a lot of soul searching and found that I was doing it all wrong. It's hard to undo what's done. I was never a mean parent but never allowed her to express herself freely like I should have. It's gotten better over the last 5 years and she is starting to open up more. Like your good man blog, parenting takes a lot of work too. Now im remarried and to the most amazing woman ever. We have a two year old that we raise in a completely different way that allows her to express herself. And oh boy does she! It's interesting to take a step back and see the difference. Wish I knew then what I know now. :)

Thank you! I actually haven't been as busy as you think, it's been said that if you "do what you love, happiness will follow". Ever since I was in high school I have had an unnatural passion for writing. For some reason, when it came to writing, I could always just sit down and get lost in my own world.

You make a lot of great points here. First and foremost, none of us are ready to be parents. Adapt and overcome right? I had my 5 year old nephew living with me when I was 17 years old. I worked, I picked him up from school, we did homework etc. I thought that when the day came that I would be ready. Tim can tell you, I was not ready. There was something about the idea of that this was really my life, not just for the next 18 years, but forever, that really scared me. Instead of embracing it, I did everything I could to fight it. Looking back on my first experiences as a parent make me pretty embarrassed. However, I am proud of the changes I have made and my children are, and always will be, my greatest accomplishments. Baumrind's parenting styles have three different types, I will spare you the psychology lecture, but studies have shown that either extreme (too permissive or too restrictive) have long term effects. You just have to try to balance. It will never be easy and we all know that parenting doesn't come with a handbook, so you just have to go with your heart and do what you feel is best. It is great to hear that things have worked themselves out!

As you mentioned with relationships, they are work. And that really goes for all relationships: friendships, spouses, even our family. I cannot count how many times I've had to bite my tongue with one of my siblings because "I told you so" wasn't the appropriate response. It can certainly be difficult, but it always pays off in the end, as I see you are experiencing now.

Yup, comes down to live and learn. Couldn't ask for a better life for my kids now and I'm thrilled I made the choices I did.

I look forward to more blogs.

-Ken

For chrissakes, get a room.

...wait....

:)

...And I may have noticed his "okay" looks, @JenniJet2233, but just in passing. The square Kirk Douglas jawline, the perfect hair, the "I'm off today so F shaving" stubble...none of it really struck me as significant though.

We have a room, but flirting online keeps things fresh, probably makes @Dnkeyhnter feel like he's getting away with something he shouldn't be doing :rofl: But speaking of that rugged look he gets going on from time to time, I have a picture of him with a full out beard that I will post to the photography thread (because it is definitely worth a thousand words!)

@cyclerdoug

20150608_193412.jpg

Back