• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Check Out These Juliets

THE X-MAN

I am Jim Jannard...
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
ILLINOIS
SAM_5825.jpg

This is what I received in the mail Friday,the guy used a torch to melt out the rubber in the nosebridge, they are 1st gen plasmas with the lowest serial number I have ever seen in person (JE001747) ,ill post completed pictures tomorrow of my finished work. and please don't post negative comments about the member either,thats not what we need to do here.

Look forward to see your magic on this one.

I agree, no need for negative comments, these could have come from Ebay.

I will give it to the guy with the torch. That sounds like something I would do. I can hear myself say "**** it, I'll melt that **** out and replace it with silicone caulk".
Remember, the cool stuff I build that I post pics of here, haven't come without their fair share of learning lessons (major mistakes). If you don't try something out of the box, you will never succeed with fresh new ideas.

I painted a helmet once. It was a brand new Arai. It was an amazing paint job. Thick heavy large gold metal flake topped with green candy coat. It would have been a beautiful color on a motorcycle or a lowrider. It was hideous on a helmet. I looked like the green goblin.
I decide to strip the paint. No chemicals because they could compromise the safety of the helmet. So I start sanding. There were almost 20 coats (thin coats) of paint. So after half an hour and I still haven't seen fiberglass, it's time to step t up a notch.
I head to the Home Despot and get a paint stripping wheel for my grinder. (You know, the blue fibrous looking ones made to shave the paint off a navy ship). I attach it and set the grinder to its lowest speed, 11k RMP. I touch down with this wheel of death spinning and it seems to be working okay. Half a second later there is styrofoam beads all over the garage. I'm like "WTF?" I look down and see I cut right through the fiberglass and deep into the protective styrofoam. Brand new $200 helmet with $50 in paint, straight into the trash can.

I'm glad to see that he tried something, even if it didn't work out. I'm also glad to see that they made it your way, and you will repair them.

So THE X-MAN what was your first experience with repairing a pair of flex couplers?

I can provide a NEW set of Custom Lenses, Looks like they need a set. A Torch and a Welder, hmmmmm, maybe not the best tools to use, but might work. At least you would never have to worry about tightening the nose again!!!

A little off topic: I've seen Ti change color just by blow torching them. The longer the burn the more bluish color it got. How long and what temp. did the owner of those juliets subjected them?

Back