• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Christmas Vacation To Hawaii: Help Needed

Ok, so I wanted to ask the Oakley forum for some help. I've been planning a nice Christmas vacation for a few years now. I really want to go to Hawaii for the week of Christmas.

So, here's my issue: I'm not sure if I want to spend my vacation on the island of Oahu (where Waikiki and Honolulu are) or if I want to go to the island of Maui.

Oahu has some of the best nightlife and a mixture of just about everything. Maui is about the same with less nightlife and more of a laid-back relaxation atmosphere in comparison to the hustle and bustle of Oahu. Oahu is more like the Los Angeles of Hawaii while Maui is more like the, I would venture to say, country setting. I've done some research and is seems like Oahu has it all when it comes to having everything but, Maui seems to as well; just more laid back and slower paced.

I'm 28 years old and I'm flying solo. So, I'm guessing that the hustle and bustle part would be somewhat of a welcome but, I'm not really a huge nightlife guy. I'm more of the relax when possible and do some sightseeing type. I'll be there for about 5-7 days. I want to snorkel/scuba dive, kayak, some surf lessons (never been surfing before), see some beautiful nature sights, and do some shopping and relaxing on the beach.

If going to Oahu, I was thinking about staying at Turtle Bay Resort on the North Shore to stay somewhat away from Honolulu and Waikiki for a more peaceful stay and then just visit as needed or wanted.
Not sure where to stay on Maui if I were to go there. Recommendations would be great.

Any suggestions would be great.
I had my honeymoon in Kauai last year and loved it, however I am going to Maui next year and that is from what everyone says, the place that offers the most. I am a huge snorkeling fan, into the plants and nature end of it, and so the hustle and bustle of Oahu has no interest to me at all. Check Costco travel as well, they have been pretty damn cheap as opposed to everything else if you don't have a place arranged. hawaiian air usually puts cheapest fares with layover in honolulu, and I don't do layovers. Non stop American or Delta have been best rates I have found, and direct, not other sites (if not bundling like on costco)...Kauai was gorgeous and had tons to see and do, but was basically a ghost town at 8pm. We booked a condo and loaded up at Costco for groceries to offset eating out 24/7 and it paid off. Also, Costco had nice snorkeling gear that we bought at $45 or so vs renting daily and we just mailed it home, plus they also had the coffee from Kauai Coffee Co waaaaaay cheaper, and also had the Koloa Rum that is distilled right on Kauai for half the price...Just friendly tips on how we saved $$ and enjoyed a week. Oh, and one thing we did that was a total blast....We rented scooters/moped and cruised the island. Was like $50/day and $5 in gas lol, but slapped on the gopro and cruised. Was pretty fun...

470830_514281141917183_1852148619_o.jpg

56025_514281318583832_188542123_o.jpg

177328_514281805250450_176877480_o.jpg

This was with my iphone4 in a lifeproof case...great to snorkel with lol
337286_514281861917111_640107810_o.jpg

548436_514285541916743_1478816409_n.jpg

Last edited:
Based on what you have stated, I woul recommend Maui. Oahu is like LA on an Island. Kauai is really slow and laid back. Kona is nice but has little night life. Maui has the best mix of night life, adventure and relaxing. My wife grew up on the island so if you need suggestions let me know!

Based on what you have stated, I woul recommend Maui. Oahu is like LA on an Island. Kauai is really slow and laid back. Kona is nice but has little night life. Maui has the best mix of night life, adventure and relaxing. My wife grew up on the island so if you need suggestions let me know!
that should take care of that haha. I am stoked to hit Maui!!

Thank you guys so much for the advice. Based on what you have suggested and what I've researched, I plan on going to Maui. I've postponed the trip until next summer. This Christmas isn't going to work for me due to some family things and I want to be around for those. I was fully prepared to take the last day of school off (I'm an English teacher) and fly out that morning before Christmas Break but, it's just not good timing. So, I'll have plenty of extra cash to spend at the Oakley Store in Whalers Village.

I've also considered, with the increase in cash flow, that I might make it a split trip. This is a tip that I picked up from some suggestions on Travel Channel.com, one of the posters on the first page of this thread, and some friends who have traveled there before. I'm going to spend most of the time on Maui and spend two day on Oahu. I really want to see the North Shore with Pipeline and Backdoor. I realize that the best time to see the North Shore is winter when surfing the at full force but, just seeing it will be enough for me. Maui will fit my need better because it has some of the best cliff jumping in the world. It also has the full spectrum of diverse beaches (Gold sand, Black sand, Red Sand). Snorkeling is great there as well and the Road to Hana is something that interests me.

On Oahu, I'm going to stay at Turtle Bay because of the separation from the larger crowds of Honolulu and Waikiki. I'll still visit them but, not for long periods of time. I'm mainly visiting Oahu for the North Shore and the shopping.

Let me just say there is no strip clubs on any of the other island except Oahu. Oahu is big enough to offer a little bit of everything. Peace and quiet in the west side at Makaha Beach. Action pack ESPN at the north shore and shopping and dining at Waikiki. I would prefer Oahu over Maui (until you are honeymooner). Either way you are going to get beach-slapped so it all good. By the way, the road to Hana is a killer drive but once you get to the sacred falls then I guess it's all good, just don't run out of gas.

agavuhyn.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back