1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. ericforman

ericforman Oakley Expert

I have heard about problems with the SW blue chrome frogs finish. Do the other chrome frogs have finish issues?

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. dr.chop

dr.chop Oakley Expert

all of Oakleys chrome finishes have a problem. That's why they don't do them anymore. Most fmj did as well.

3. ericforman

ericforman Oakley Expert

Thanks dr.chop. That's exactly what I wanted to know.

4. dr.chop

dr.chop Oakley Expert

I have learned what those errors were along the way in doing my own chroming ventures, so naturally, I did as they said in Office Space and "Fixed The Glitch" haha

JDubs likes this.
  5. NiGHTSx2

NiGHTSx2 Oakley Collector

I also just wanted to add that Silver and Platinum finishes seem to have problems peeling as well. You can take your fingernail and rub off the finish, because they aren't clear coated. Clear 'em and you're good to go.

6. ericforman

ericforman Oakley Expert

Alright, I have some FMJ Holbrooks coming in that already have a little bit of peeling on the inside of the ear and would like to prevent it from continuing. What kind/brand of clear coat would you recommend?

7. NiGHTSx2

NiGHTSx2 Oakley Collector

Make sure you smooth out the peel so there are no edges sticking up, and you'll be in good shape.
    I use automotive clear that requires an activator, as well as respirator and spray booth to apply, so it's not stuff you can mess around with at home. If you have the setup though, I would recommend either DuPont or Nason auto clears (Nason was actually aquired by DuPont a few years back). You really can't go wrong with any product that has the DuPont logo on the can.

If you're spraying at home, I would recommend Alclad clears. I just used some Aqua Gloss Clear (ALC-600) the other day and was pleased with the results.

Last edited: 11/7/13