• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Chrome FMJinx Project

Herbsley

Steadily Retiring
Durham, UK
The first metallic coat is on.
I'm quite confident these are gunna rock.

Pics to follow of course.

I've also bought a gloss clear lacquer today which I am experimenting with now for possible use.

Why Oakley have never released FMJ Hijinx I don't know. These look killer already.

Lol. I want at least two metallic coats on, and then the clear. So they'll probably be finished Sunday.

I should have done some sneak peek Coming Soon pics like on oakley.com

can´t wait to see the pictures!!
would be cool if you show each step . . .

Progress Report:
The first coat ran a little, so I am stripping it right back to start again.
Sigh. Being a perfectionist ain't easy.

Hmmm. The chrome paint is proving more troublesome than the gold. This job may take longer than anticipated, cos I'm having to use reeaally fine coats so it doesn't run again. Sorry about this. Learning as I go!

I'm starting to understand why Oakley haven't made an FMJ Hijinx. It's bloody difficult! haha

I will not be beaten.

Oh btw, I'm finding with my tests that the clear gloss takes aaaages to dry too. This is gunna be a long job, but hopefully well worth it.

You bloody tease Herbsley........................hurry up man LOL

Haha. I'm trying!
It's one of those things you can't hurry though, unfortunately. Light coat, then drying time. Then repeat. Etc.

I've just had to strip it right back AGAIN this morning and restart. The chrome is a right pain of a paint. The slightest run or blemish is amplified ten-fold thanks to the reflective nature of the paint.
I'm using more base coat this time to try and get it to hold better. It absolutely HAS to be a smooth finish right round the frame.

Starting to think I fluked the Goldjinx. Haha.

Back