• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Chrome Iridium Opinions

ucdavis4PT0gpa

I should Work at Oakley
Oceanside, Oregon
Okay I dug around with the search tool, couldn't find a thread quite like what I needed so I'll ask.

Opinions on the Chrome Iridium? I know the general consensus is pretty much that this is an incredible lens to look at (although I've heard complaints about scratching and smudges that's any high iridium coating-Fire, 24K) but maybe not the greatest to look through?

I'm maybe most interested in opinions what its like to look through but most importantly on its transmission rate or glare reduction qualities. I know the rating 12% but I've read things that suggest it doesn't perform like a 12% but rather a higher transmission rate lens-like more of a 16% even 17%

As an aside, any thoughts on this lens in the Polished Clear Fuel Cell? I'm considering purchasing a standard combo of that and some Violet lenses to switch in and out; I'm also considering Chrome in Distressed Silver Jury if I like the fit/look of the Ice pair I just ordered.

Chrome is nice to look through. It might look kind of funny in the clear fuel cell, but great in the Jury, IMO.

i just didn't like how they seemed kinda light, like the transmission was too high for me. They're a pretty sweet lens in general though

I love how they look from the outside but they just aren't dark enough for sunny days. Hopefully once Chrome Iridium Polarized comes out it will be closer to the light transmission of Black Iridium.

I love how they look from the outside but they just aren't dark enough for sunny days. Hopefully once Chrome Iridium Polarized comes out it will be closer to the light transmission of Black Iridium.

Yeah that's what I was afraid of. Unfortunately there are examples of Oakley lenses that have HIGHER transmission rates in polarized variants. Well, that answers that question. My eyes are highly light sensitive so I need something that's pretty dark. I do want to add a Fuel Cell and a Violet back into the collection so I think I'll consider whether I want a Clear/Violet or Infinite Hero Fuel Cell

Lately the newer polarized colors have seemed to be darker (Emerald, Ruby, G30) so maybe these will be darker. I imagine not though since it would be competing with Black Iridium but who knows.

I like to wear my chrome on overcast days because the light transmission high. It ok for sunny days, but I prefer a darker lens since my eyes are accustomed to less light already. I don't really have any problem with smudging because I treated them with the hydrophobic solution.

As far as the lens in the clear frame, I had that setup and hated it. Way too much light from the frame and the lenses didnt make it any better. Probably the worst setup I've ever tried, but it sure was pretty! I would even prefer a fire lens and I hate looking through those.

Back