1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. MJLSr

MJLSr Oakley Expert

In my search for a few of these I found this:

It appears to be chrome (the one on the left, of course) ?? Not polished aluminum...?? It is a bit lighter than the standard solid aluminum block. Does anyone else have these? Can you tell me where they came from, are they a special run? Any info would be greatly appreciated. :)

Chrome X-Metal Coin Holder - 20140508_191717.jpg Chrome X-Metal Coin Holder - 20140508_191748.jpg Chrome X-Metal Coin Holder - 20140508_191813.jpg Chrome X-Metal Coin Holder - 20140508_191819.jpg

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. xmetalmaniac

xmetalmaniac Made of Metal Premium Member Lifetime Member

It's polished aluminum. I have polished them to a mirror finish. The reason why it's lighter is its the hollow version. Flip it upside down and you will notice this. I have several of them polished and unpolished.

3. MJLSr

MJLSr Oakley Expert

Thanks for the info :) That is interesting. I know the aluminum can be polished to shine, but these are not hollow. The bottom/base is solid. My understanding is the die-cast 'hollow' ones are a different alloy also... Hmmmm... More ?'s pending as soon as I can get back home to get pics of the base, compare the weigh (which also seems different)...

4. MJLSr

MJLSr Oakley Expert

BTW - the hollow die-cast stands weight just under 3oz, whereas the solid ones weigh considerably more, approximately 4 1/4 oz... the shinny/chrome-like one that is apparently a well polished solid weighs in @ 4 1/4 oz.