• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Chroming Frames?

NYC Joe

Oakley Enthusiast
NYC
Any one tried it?
Been curious about vacuum metalizing a pair that I don't wear so much.

If they can chrome small car model parts. Why not some frames?

Im sure you are going to get the just paint them chrome posts........But i think doing them in real chrome would be alot better, certainly would last longer. And in most cases look better.

Found a really old post of someone wanting to try it, but wondering if anyone did? Always liked super shiny chrome. Maybe a gold chrome?

I think you should. I think it would be awesome. If it comes out nice let me know i want to try it too

Already been done. Both processes. Chrome paint is crap! Very expensive, never very good for results, and a waste of time. Liquid Chrome, aka silver nitrate (alsa and spectrachrome) both only work proper when you have their full system. Alsa does offer a small "hand pump" type system, and again, already tried it. $350 would do maybe 4 pair if you are lucky, but more so, you have to be extremely lucky to get it to work. The chemicals are high in ammonia and destroy the sprayers it comes with... Besides, their customer service is the worst in the industry.

Vacuum Metalizing aka chrome plastic, is how Oakley does it along with hundreds of other companies. It is the same stuff you find on your local Walmart spray can chrome lid, but not the actual silver goo in the can, the same stuff in your headlight reflectors, and the very same stuff I have done. Now, problem is, it is retarded expensive to do and hard to find a place that is remotely consistent. I have paid upwards of $175 per frame, and sometimes a bit less. I have also lost $18,000.00 worth of frames due to the processor being terrible! Yes, that was 18k! It is great, but tough. Plus, you still have to process it even more once the chroming has been done. Model parts aren't top coated to handle day to day wear and tear from your skin. Think it matters? Think again. Your skins oils contain some pretty radical stuff that devours coatings. Why do you think Oakley has failed at every attempt of chrome shades? They didn't get it right. The chrome is brittle and cracks easily, once it does, it will flake. You want to take a stab at it, Be my guest. Not easy, not cost effective, and sometimes not worth the time.

Sounds like an adventure! Thanx. Dr chop. Great answer. Tried the chrome paint and it's terrible. (Spray can stuff) here's hoping to find the perfect way.

any spray chrome is junk. Even the house of kolors stuff. I can't call it junk, just the end results are. Spectrachrome is what 50 Cent's Lambo, West Coast Custom's Tron R8, and several other high profile jobs (Grave Digger 25th anniversary) were all done in, and it's awesome stuff....If, and it's a very expensive IF, you have their full system, a booth, and so on. Otherwise, it just doesn't work small scale

Back