• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Clarification needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the tag @OakleyFrankFMJ, came up for air to get some fair market values.

@Krank listings for my copies of an original work that I own were tossed also, due to a combination of a lack of knowledge about copyright law and concerns for respecting and not stepping on the Oakley brand.

Oakley allows this site to use it's intellectual property (the name Oakley) and some imagery. The site would likely not exist if it were not for their allowed limited use of the brand. So I understand Boss' reluctance to offend Mother O... and the fact that is easier to say 'no replicas, etc' than to understand copyright law. They're not lawyers and they don't want to be but on one hand they say "we need to stay away from that stuff" while with the other condoning the sale and trade of items that definitely belong to Oakley if you asked Oakley. Like: stands, merchandising materials, cubes, single wides, doublewides, splines, dog tags, etc.

But that stuff is almost literally a leg that this hobby stands on. You can in fact hear a pin drop in the other thread where @OakleyFrankFMJ asked this same question.

So its really pretty arbitrary what is allowed to be sold here.
Thank you. :)

See LeQ? :p

Thanks for the tag @OakleyFrankFMJ, came up for air to get some fair market values.

@Krank listings for my copies of an original work that I own were tossed also, due to a combination of a lack of knowledge about copyright law and concerns for respecting and not stepping on the Oakley brand.

Oakley allows this site to use it's intellectual property (the name Oakley) and some imagery. The site would likely not exist if it were not for their allowed limited use of the brand. So I understand Boss' reluctance to offend Mother O... and the fact that is easier to say 'no replicas, etc' than to understand copyright law. They're not lawyers and they don't want to be but on one hand they say "we need to stay away from that stuff" while with the other condoning the sale and trade of items that definitely belong to Oakley if you asked Oakley. Like: stands, merchandising materials, cubes, single wides, doublewides, splines, dog tags, etc.

But that stuff is almost literally a leg that this hobby stands on. You can in fact hear a pin drop in the other thread where @OakleyFrankFMJ asked this same question.

So its really pretty arbitrary what is allowed to be sold here.

Agreed it is an interesting situation, and we walk a fine line, this is just where we have chose to put the line in the sand for the time being. Always willing to re-address this periodically and adapt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back