• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Clear Black Iridium Advice Needed

saulsaul

I am Jim Jannard...
Tokyo
Clear black iridium transitions lens have a stated range of 10-66%.

My question (and sorry if it's stupid) is whether it's safe to still wear this lens at night for street cycling (as eye protection). OR would it be dangerous since letting in less light than clear.

OR have I misunderstood the meaning of 66% and these lens do go 100% clear in absence of uv???

Any help appreciated. I've searched for ages online and here. Like others, looking to avoid spare lens changes.

Good question. Clear/ black iridium photochromic lenses can become clear, but not THAT clear and they are not a contrast lens.

From my experience I think it's possible to use them in an illuminated area safely, but in a non illuminated area I would really avoid wearing them. Maybe if you ride on a road that are perfectly flat and have no potholes at all, and you have some strong lights to see where you're going it's doable. Otherwise you need to have clear lenses.

Good question. Clear/ black iridium photochromic lenses can become clear, but not THAT clear and they are not a contrast lens.

From my experience I think it's possible to use them in an illuminated area safely, but in a non illuminated area I would really avoid wearing them. Maybe if you ride on a road that are perfectly flat and have no potholes at all, and you have some strong lights to see where you're going it's doable. Otherwise you need to have clear lenses.
Thanks MarceIN that's very helpful. I have a pair of Flaks with Transitions coming soon but it sounds as though I might still need to invest in a clear frame.

Latest Posts

Back