• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Clear Holbrook Lenses From Visionary Lenses (PICS AND VIDEO, PAGE 2)

Batwolf

Double Team
Premium Member
Portland, OR
As some of you know, I have done a few reviews of the Visionary Lenses that you can get through eBay. Back when I did some testing I had suggested that they make clear lenses for the Holbrooks and it looks like they finally released them. I know these will be more fashion based than anything, or even good for night driving.

New VL Clear Replacement Lenses for Oakley Holbrook Impact Resistant | eBay

I decided to get a set, paid less than $20 shipped through eBay. Once I receive them I'll make a full review, and I plan on buying a second set to do some impact testing. I'm curious if their claims really hold up but I'd like to do a video impact test so stay tuned!

i bought a bunch of the vl lenses when i got my first couple pair of holbrooks and i must admit theyre decent but i ended up buying most of the oakley iridium and polorized lenses. i may put most of my vl's up for sale. the clears however, i will have to purchase.

Are you gonna test some Oakley lenses the same way and see how they compare?

Talked to VL and they are going to send me a second set of clear lenses free of charge so now I need to find a set of junker Holbrook lenses for impact testing. I think I have Ruby lenses somewhere.

So I wanted to give a mini review of the lenses. VL packaging is nice with a gloss white VL box with a VL microfiber inside containing the lenses in two individual baggies. This is the same as the packaging I received when I did a review of VL lenses last year.

The first thing I noticed when I previously reviewed VL lenses was that the thickness was not that of OEM lenses. However when I pulled out these clear lenses I noticed that they were very close, if not the same thickness to that of OEM lenses. The test frame for these were my Steel with Dark Grey Holbrook, and they installed flawlessly with no gaps or looseness. VL did a good job of cutting these lenses, their template looks near identical to the Dark Grey lenses from the original frame.

Concerning the lenses themselves, they are very very nice looking. I would relate these closest to that of Oakley's clear lens with roughly a 92-95% light transmission. They have that "UV glare" that you see with all of Oakley's lenses (under the right light), including their clear. There is a slightly reflective tint to the outside of these lenses but I wouldn't quite say they are Iridium. I wore these glasses all day at work (stares and all) and a few people asked if they were prescription. I sadly had to admit that I was being a hipster that day. I was skeptical to whether or not these lenses would cause me headaches and surprisingly they didn't at all. If anything I would say the pressure of the Holbrook frame being worn all day gave me more fatigue. One of my buddies at work who has a set of Holbrook's asked where I got my lenses, and I decided to give him the lenses so that he could enjoy them.

Clear lenses (in a lifestyle frame) are not something I would wear, especially given the cultural "hipster" look that these give the Holbrook. However I was curious as to how they could perform and more importantly, how they looked (being the purpose of these lenses). Once I received them I was thoroughly impressed by the quality and seemingly (compared to before) better optics. As soon as I receive the second set of these from VL I will finish the review with part 2 which will be pictures and comparisons. And of course, video impact testing compared to real OEM lenses.

I look forward to your impact test. Always wanted to purchase some of the VL replacement lens to customize a pair.
I just didn't know how they compare with the OEM lens. And I think I will pull the trigger just because they are close to the OEM lens.
Thanks for sharing!

Cheers!

Back