• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Closest To Original Ruby Iridium From Linegear?

Just as an example, here is a SunCloud lens off a 20 dollar pair of glasses. Reason they are close to Oakley, is that they are base in prism lenses. VL, LineGear, XL, Walleva are not base in prism lenses. LineGear are just as bad as VL, Walleva etc.... Your just paying more for a better mirror finish, which actually is one of the issues with blurry vision quality.
rwrf.jpg

7wb3.jpg

in all honesty people buy the cheap 5-10 dollar glasses from walmart or the kiosks at the mall all the time, garunteed those optics are worse than the example that you have provided of linegear, so it really just boils down to personal pref on weather you want horrible optics VL $25, medium optics linegear $60 , or oakley optics plus custom cut $90+, no shame in self promotion though i have seen your work and they look awsome!
Also, as you read above, I did promote the other two custom cut members also. I do not want anyone to think I am just promoting my cuts. I really want the specific information to get out, so members understand that spending 90 or so, is alot better, keeps the value of the glasses, and won't cause physical issues with your eyes, or head. Personally, I want to produce a aftermarket lens, that is better than Oakley optics and that can be proven, but cost for something like that, even with mass producing, would be 120 or so. Polarized of course. No reason to not go polarized, unless looking at a computer in the car:D

There are many threads covering aftermarket lenses, in both the xmetal discussion, and in sunglass discussion. Jim Jannard puts his 2 cents in one of them, reiterating what I have said here.

I'm slightly annoyed at the lack of in-depth reviews for the linegear red mirror and may try to do a thorough review later. I understand the vets are annoyed by the repetitive nature of the questions about Ruby, but I can't help but wonder whether a lot of the repetitiveness could be avoided with a FAQ or even a more thorough review of the lens options in question.

LineGear Red Mirror are very different than typical lenses. I think their Garnet might be closer to traditional Oakley Ruby.

Red Mirror is mostly a standard black color when viewed at a right angle to the lens curvature, but reflect red when light is refracted at an angle. The advantage being that they are red throughout the lens, unlike some others that have fading to orange/yellow on the periphery. The disadvantage being that they do not have the same reflectivity as Iridium and don't have a red color when viewed straight on, which I imagine would annoy some folks who are expecting a "more red" clone of Ruby Iridium.

It's a totally different look than most lenses because of the black/red light reflection property. I think it works for my carbon XS, but it's different than Oakley colored lenses which are colored from all angles.

THESE ARE NOT INDOOR LENSES. You really need natural sunlight to get them to look anything like they do in the linegear photos on the website.

Mezzanine - There are plenty of Oakley colors that don't reflect colors at every angle.

+Red has gone through many variations and it used to be a gray lens that would only light up red at certain angles.

Certain examples of Ice look more black than blue. Speaking of blue, the current Blue iridium can be quite diverse in how reflective the iridium coating is.

Mezzanine - There are plenty of Oakley colors that don't reflect colors at every angle.

+Red has gone through many variations and it used to be a gray lens that would only light up red at certain angles.

Certain examples of Ice look more black than blue. Speaking of blue, the current Blue iridium can be quite diverse in how reflective the iridium coating is.

I've seen Linegear's red mirror compared to +red, and agree it's a better comparison than Ruby.

+Red looks like it is more purple/blue at a right angle with a more progressive change in color spectrum as the angle changes so that it's possible to see three colors at once, at least in it's contemporary version. The color of blue/purple is still visible from straight on.

It sounds like the older version you describe is very similar to what Linegear does with their red mirror. Red mirror goes from black/grey to red at any spot light light reflects at an angle.

Rust, I think he is just comparing the linegear he has to the Oakley lenses he has and is familiar with. You are correct in what you put for sure, but for a person who might be new to the Oakley lens scene, only have a select amount of lenses, and is not familiar to the various threads, this is his understanding of them. I am trying to help some new guys understand the bad bad qualities of aftermarket lenses, and he agrees for sure, but not all of us, including me, know all the facts. I learned something new about + red from you, thanks, I of all people should have known that.

And for the record, I'm going to try to only use Oakley lenses in the future. Really hoping InfiniteHero's valuable information about lenses and what makes Oakley lenses unique gets turned into a sticky here.

Let's cut the BS about "original ruby", "1st gen, 2nd gen, etc"...There is NO SUCH THING. Now, with that said, I will clarify once again for another person who is mis-informed. The Ruby you saw in "original" Juliets etc was simply a color achieved from a bit more time in the coating chamber. Red varies greatly by the time, nothing more, nothing less. Ruby with more purples simply saw more time. Now, originally, Ruby was called a "Premium" lens, and carried a premium markup. This covered the higher loss ratios because they were by far increased substantially. To reduce the loss, they simply dialed back them time they spent in the iridium chamber and increased usable product. Now, what that did was yield "Fruby" lenses as we call them. Fire-esque Ruby...More yellow/oranges, no purples, and minimal true reds. Trade off for profit they felt necessary...This was explained in depth by some very very well qualified people to us at the Co-Pilot event at HQ...Straight from the horses mouth so to say.

Now, Pos Red used to be called Red Iridium...It too has changed. Pos Red is no different than Ruby being it is a red lens, and is dependent on time...OO Red is also the same. I have had OO Reds (which traditionally are lighter than Pos Red) look just like Pos Red and vice versa. It's a BS ploy ebay scalpers squeeze money out of suckers plain and simple calling it 1st gen, and so on. If you wanna pay out the @$$ for the same damn thing, take the bait...It makes NO difference. I have had New Ruby lenses look better than "Original" "Gen 1" Rubies...It also depends on the base curve, or lack of one, how the light reflects the color too. Frogs tend to have wicked colors that are uniform, where as a Juliet has much more broad color spectrum showing...Flat vs Curved...Shield lens vs Spherical. It's all relative.

I would have to imagine that all colors for the most part are just like Ruby. More times equal deeper colors and vice versa. Ice is shorter in time I would guess vs a blue iridium and deep blue. Ice tends to be more on the silvery side where blue/deep blue are more purple. Emerald too. Old original emerald was waaaaaaaaaay more green with blue hues, today it is more yellow with green hues. I would again guess that to be related to time and the lack of causing drastically less loss. Now I could be entirely full of crap, but as it has been explained to me/us at the Co-Pilot event, to others I know in the know, and so on, that is essentially how it works.

Latest Posts

Back