1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Poet

Poet Oakley Beginner

I'm new to this forum and wanted to see if someone might be able to help me with a problem I've noticed on my daughter's shooting glasses. I bought her a pair of SI M-Frame 3.0 and it appears that there some sort of coating peeling off of the clear lenses.

Any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks for any help/advice. Coating On Lens Peeling Off? - MFrame 30.JPG Coating On Lens Peeling Off? - Mframe30-2.JPG

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. FuelCell1989

FuelCell1989 Oakley Beginner

Hi there, i normally see this on glasses that have had contaminants on the lenses - sun cream, hair products, hair oils etc. Either that or cleaning products other than Oakley lens solution/hydrophobic has been used

3. Patient_Cero

Patient_Cero Oakley Collector

Has she cleaned her glasses with anything other than plain water, like dawn or some other cleaner? IT appears its stripping the anti-fog coating only at this point.

4. SpliceD

SpliceD B-)

This happens when the lenses aren't cleaned or at the very least wiped after use. As FuelCell1989 mentioned, contaminants will cause the coating to strip. Lotions, oils from hair/skin, etc. This also happened to my original pair of e-wires, but it was because they sat close to my face and my long eyelashes kept brushing up against the inside of the lenses. Over time, it wore the coating. They were my 2nd pair of Oakleys i owned and i didn't know any better back then.

5. thisguy

thisguy Oakley Expert

I have seen this before. I have a pair of lenses that this is happening to actually. They are mag m frame lenses and it is peeling basically in the same spots as your daughters. I believe, like everyone else has said, that this happens from making contact with skin and not being cleaned after use.

6. OakleyGuru379

OakleyGuru379 What is that thing?!

It is the AR coating. Sweat that isnt cleaned off after a while begins to do this to lenses.

7. Tomtucker

Tomtucker Oakley Enthusiast

As much as i love Oakley glasses, it´s ridiculous this happens .

Pierre Naude, Chelas and bad fishy like this.
  8. R. Duke

R. Duke Oakley Beginner

My son has had a pair of SI Ballistic M3.0 Black Frame Gray Lens glasses for about 6 months. His glasses started peeling the same way about 3 months after purchase. He wears them very little. This past weekend the very tiny plastic pin that connects the earpiece to the frame broke when he removed the glasses from his head. This is the only Oakley product we own and I am totally unimpressed. How can this possibly be marketed to be durable enough to be worn by our military men and women??

9. Duke Nivram

Duke Nivram (Something Clever)

Did you contact Oakley?

10. Tomtucker

Tomtucker Oakley Enthusiast

your glasses are bulletproof, but if you sweat or happen to be a oliy person then you are ****ed...................remember, Oakleys are only for show (offs) ..........:smoke:

Last edited: 4/17/15