1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. xInZax

xInZax Gascan Addict

Hey, this is pretty stupid but I got a new Mr. Coffee, coffee maker. It's a pretty cheap one:

Clothing, Toys, Electronics, Jewelry, Jaclyn Smith - Kmart.com

I've always drank Latte's, as I found them much more enjoyable, but need coffee on the go. I have a Latte Maker, but it takes way too long to make a 16 oz cup. I have a coffee grinder, and set it to Medium for Starbucks Holiday Blend beans. I put about 2 Tbsp's for every 8 Oz of water, and let the water heat up in the coffee maker before I let it go into the filter (found that to be useful for the Latte Maker). Anyways, the coffee comes out bitter, and seems watered down. I've looked at a few other sources, but can't seem to find a solid answer. I know a problem is my cheap coffee maker to begin with, but I lack the funds at the moment. Any suggestions?

Btw, I use CoffeeMate creme and don't add sugar. I rarely add sugar to my coffee when I'm out somewhere, so yeah...

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. yoshi1984

yoshi1984 I love working Dispatch

I never use ground coffee and only buy whole bean coffee. lately i dont even have a coffee maker anymore. But i usually put more beans than water since i like a strong dark coffee.
    What I found out to be very helpful is using one of those gold metal filters and not using paper filters, paper filters give your coffee a real papery taste, and gets rid of a lot of the essential oils from the coffee bean. i'd try using that first and see if it helps, it should.
    Mr. Coffee Permanent Gold Tone Coffee Filter GTF3 Only $9.99

you just have to wash it out after each use. it's really helped. You also shouldn't buy starbucks coffee, their coffee tends to be a lot more acidic. Try buying Peets.com coffee, that's where I buy my coffee and my personal favorite bean they have is 'Sulawesi Kulosi', or 'Sumatra'.
    their beans have a much richer, bolder taste and they are a lot less acidic.

3. xInZax

xInZax Gascan Addict

Awesome! I'll try that out. I saw a permanent filter on the shelves when I bought my coffee maker, but opted for the disposable ones for ease. As for grinding, do you use the medium grind or a course grind? I've only used the fine grind for espresso beans, and I'm not sure what setting to use for coffee beans.

4. yoshi1984

yoshi1984 I love working Dispatch

If I remember, I was told by a coffee shop to use a more coarse grind for brew coffee, you'll get more of the coffee oil and everything instead of a fine grind... since coffee brewers work differently than espresso machines.
    i'd ask someone you know at a very good coffee shop (not starbucks which is like mcdonalds) but one of those higher end coffee shops they know what they are talking about and can offer the best advice. not using paper filters is a big help.

coffee is very difficult to make...personally, i just buy my coffee at Peets coffee shop's, they just came out with their holiday drinks, i love their gingerbread latte's.
    I had a egg nog latte...it was way way to much. I might try it again and just have them thin it out, it got to thick..

5. Mickle

Mickle Oakley Beginner

In all honesty, I would strongly suggest saving up and buying a really good machine! I bought myself a Jura-5 a while ago for $1,400 when they were new. At first I was a little sceptical (okay, let's be honest here, I was extremely sceptical) about spending that kind of money on a coffee machine. After much consideration I decided to purchase it (it did come with a 6yr extended warranty tho so that helped put me at ease)

How easy that thing is to use blew me away!! It even came with an instructional DVD, because trying to read through the manul was a pain in the ass! It lets you know when it needs cleaning, when to change the filter, when to empty the coffee grounds, when it's low on water. It's fully customizable too! Set your own coffee strength, how much water per cup, internal coffee grinder you can put at your own settings, automatic froth/milk stretching, turns itself off when finished, the list goes on!! The only thing it doesn't do is drink the coffee for you!

I'd really put some thought into getting a good machine tho, cause if you're a coffee drinker, i guarantee you won't be disappointed!!

WARNING: Since buying my Jura-5 my caffeine intake has atleast doubled!!