• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Collection Database?

HoakleyRobb

Oakley Expert
Premium Member
For folks with sizable collections, how do you keep them documented? Is there a good (inexpensive) tool that can be used for this? Thanks.

I know o-review can be used to catalog your collection, but can you keep it private or is the only option for it to be public?

If you want to use true database SW, MS Access is the MS Office solution. There's also MS SQL Server Express, and MySQL Database Server.

But for this job my first choice would be what others have mentioned, Excel. The only reason to use a real DB is if you're recording a lot of details about each item and really want to dig deep in specific custom queries, and you know SQL...

You can still do that with Excel, though, if you know how to use it properly.

My favorite SQL query joke has always been:

SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0

0 rows returned...

(It's only funny if you know some SQL...)

I used to use Excel and then ultimately Access before discovering the O Review. It's ok as long as there's no issues with your hard drive or you don't use your jump drive, etc. Data retrieval is expensive and a pain around these parts. That's why I always recommend the O Review first and call it the best option for collectors, since you can access it remotely, you can enter pictures into it much more readily than other DB's, you can download it as an Excel file (well, .csv file anyway), amongst other benefits. But you are right, Excel or Access works fine if you want a no frills option.

Last edited:
Back