• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

concept of switching to collecting O matter due to economic reasons :)

as someone who was up to 50 O matter/sports/lifestyle frames I can honestly tell you i regret not making the jump to x metal sooner and stopping the o matter.
although i do like some o matter frames still, i ended up selling a bunch for below what i paid to subsidize the x metal collection.
a few o matters are nice to use/play with when i dont want to get my Metals all jacked up but ultimately they just dont feel as substantial or artistically inspiring as x metals. they kinda start to look & feel like just PLASTIC after awhile. they feel less valuable in my hands and except for 3 or 4pairs or something like a Pit boss 2 or a tin can or carbon blade, i just think non x metals are kinda a waste of $$ until i finish my x metal collection.
Just my opinion, but if you get a bunch of o matters I'll bet you wish u had the money from 4 pairs to get a single X metal.
Good luck with whatever you decide though, ultimately its what you like that matters!

Seems like we strayed way off topic, veering into collectible O-matter rather than the more common ones which appeared to be Hitech's direction.
My opinion is that if he is considering lowering his expenses simply to buy more stuff- stuff that probably will be depreciating assets rather than (potentially) appreciating/ stable assets- then he is better off simply collecting stacks of currency.
To spend money to simply accumulate a greater number of pairs seems fruitless.

I always stick to the financial dictum that a penny saved is a penny earned

But then again it will remind you of xmetal penny ;)

PS: and yes cash is ALWAYS king

To echo some of the other posters, don't switch to cheap items just to accumulate more stuff. You will end up with a lot of unwanted items that will be difficult to unload (well, hard to unload here since this is the land of metal snobs).

Just buy less often, save up for the grand piece, or be on the lookout for a deal.

To echo some of the other posters, don't switch to cheap items just to accumulate more stuff. You will end up with a lot of unwanted items that will be difficult to unload (well, hard to unload here since this is the land of metal snobs).

Just buy less often, save up for the grand piece, or be on the lookout for a deal.
Thats coming from a non metal lover. Yeah the temptation for xmetal here is way overwhelming. Bottom line is, it will always depends on the wearer.

Thats coming from a non metal lover. Yeah the temptation for xmetal here is way overwhelming. Bottom line is, it will always depends on the wearer.
So, my opinion doesn't count? :rofl: I had to clown on you lol

But my point stands, switching to spend less money is pointless to me. You like what you like, so don't saddle yourself with unnecessary items for the sake of collecting. But if you get some OMatter and actually like it, well, great.

So, my opinion doesn't count? :rofl: I had to clown on you lol

But my point stands, switching to spend less money is pointless to me. You like what you like, so don't saddle yourself with unnecessary items for the sake of collecting. But if you get some OMatter and actually like it, well, great.
Keep recruiting omatter fan boy, hahaha actually im not exclusively an xmetal collector at all. I love OTT, csix,pitboss, holbrook and frogskins. So what does make me?

My advice is dont switch, just add omatter to have some variety to splash everyday.

Keep recruiting omatter fan boy, hahaha actually im not exclusively an xmetal collector at all. I love OTT, csix,pitboss, holbrook and frogskins. So what does make me?

My advice is dont switch, just add omatter to have some variety to splash everyday.
I didn't know that I was recruiting. I told him not to switch. Lol

I know you're not a complete metal head, the OTT looks great on ya.

To each its own.

I use my o-matter for sport and where the risk of loss is great. I wear wires at times when wearing a suit, everything else is Juliets at the moment. All my o-matter frames have lost value while all my X-metals could be sold for more used than I paid for them..

Just picked up a pair of Split jackets, but I don't collect O-matter... honestly... :oops: Tried to cut down to Juliets, a few polarized Wires and Half Jackets and Radars for sport.

Seems like we strayed way off topic, veering into collectible O-matter rather than the more common ones which appeared to be Hitech's direction.
My opinion is that if he is considering lowering his expenses simply to buy more stuff- stuff that probably will be depreciating assets rather than (potentially) appreciating/ stable assets- then he is better off simply collecting stacks of currency.
To spend money to simply accumulate a greater number of pairs seems fruitless.
Couldn't have stated it better myself. the plastic stuff will always depreciate in value.I was going to unload my mars.....till I took them out of the box to look at em.....then I realized..... I'll have a hard time finding these in this condition again without spending gobs of money.

Back