• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Confirming my understanding of Juliet lense options

Nzfly

Oakley Beginner
Hey all,

Just double checking my search conclusions. Any feedback is appreciated.

In looking to replace lenses, specifically Juliet's, the order of "optimal" quality/fit/finish appears to be as follows:

OEM
Custom Cut from OEM
Linegear/Ikon/Fuse

Do I have this correct? If so, who is generally regarded as the best source for custom cut lenses?

I am curious about the base curve 6/8 discussion where Oakley's are 8 and the aftermarket's are not. If this is an issue but not a substantial issue, then at may help my selections. The posts I saw this mentioned in related to the Fuse, but there was a statement that hinted it could be a problem for all aftermarket offerings. Possibly, Oakley may have a proprietary design that is protected.

Is the curve a deal breaker, or is it minor inconvenience?

I have experience with Zeiss/Hensoldt optics as they relate to rifles. That point is really the only thing having me entertain the Fuse lenses. Zeiss is classic German over-engineering.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated!!

@Nzfly

take some time to look around. read some reviews and post some stuff . . .
after a while you will meet the requirements to get access to our exchange sections!

• Be a member for a minimum of 14 days
  • Have at least 15 useful posts
  • For the Misc./Everything Else area, you must be a member for 30 Days!

Read more: Exchange Guidelines | Oakley Forum

Yes, in that order.

There are a number of custom cutters here; @Chris A Hardaway and @xmetalmaniac have been the most active lately.

Ideally base 8 is preferred but base 6 can be used if cut properly. It's not a big deal for most.

Personally I'll only use OEM / custom cuts but if I did use aftermarkets it'd be LineGear. Reaction to Ikon and Fuse has been mixed.
Yes....this

Yes, in that order.

There are a number of custom cutters here; @Chris A Hardaway and @xmetalmaniac have been the most active lately.

Ideally base 8 is preferred but base 6 can be used if cut properly. It's not a big deal for most.

Personally I'll only use OEM / custom cuts but if I did use aftermarkets it'd be LineGear. Reaction to Ikon and Fuse has been mixed.

Yes....this

Right on, thanks guys. Thank you for the referrals. I have seen the @Chris A Hardaway username on eBay offerings, and it is impossible to miss @xmetalmaniac's work in his dedicated thread. <- I noted the order of lens options, the curve issue, and saw xmetalmaniac's work when I "[took] some time to look around [and] read some reviews..." ;)

I am guessing you all might have a problem with sandbaggers trying to get into your marketplace...feel free to remove any of these posts in count toward your thresholds. I am after the info, not your exchange area. Thanks

Right on, thanks guys. Thank you for the referrals. I have seen the @Chris A Hardaway username on eBay offerings, and it is impossible to miss @xmetalmaniac's work in his dedicated thread. <- I noted the order of lens options, the curve issue, and saw xmetalmaniac's work when I "[took] some time to look around [and] read some reviews..." ;)

I am guessing you all might have a problem with sandbaggers trying to get into your marketplace...feel free to remove any of these posts in count toward your thresholds. I am after the info, not your exchange area. Thanks

Nah you did fine, the main problem is when someone tries to buy, sell, or trade outside of the exchange, in a discussion thread. I read your post as a request for info but nerd may have taken it to infer an attempt to buy, which is why he responded as such. But if it had clearly been breaking the rules he would have deleted or edited it already.

Of secondary problem is people posting a bunch of meaningless "those are cool"-type posts all in a row to get exchange access. Especially when they bump zombie threads doing it... This wasn't that.

not sure how familiar you are with the base curves and how they relate to appearance. I personally had a different curvature lens that fit in my R1s and did not like how they looked, some members like them i think they were base 6. to put it simply, they looked less "buggy" which I thought i didn't prefer but realized when i swapped out.

I'm sure there are a few people on here with OEM's that you could purchase.

Back