1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. us_Sheikh

us_Sheikh Oakley Enthusiast

Hi everyone, I have recently been reading up on some posts and came across a sneak peak for a couple of very cool xmetal designs. I just want to ask if anyone has any idea if they're due anytime soon, perhaps later this year? I won't mind waiting for a while to own an XMetal, better a new one than the old design. I'm sure retail prices would be crazy but it may give me enough time to collect the money. I was basically just considering purchasing either the X-Metal Penny with Ruby Iridium Lenses or the X-Metal XX with black iridium lenses. So if Oakley doesn't have any plans to release the X-Metals anytime soon, I may just go in with these, if they do, then I might just wait.

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. BriP

BriP X-Metalhead

buddy... those were made back in 2001 (Penny) and 1999 (XX). no new xmetals are going to be made - you gotta buy second-hand

kronin323 likes this.
  3. kronin323

kronin323 Font of Useless Knowledge Premium Member

X-metals were made in their own factory in Nevada. It was shut down for good in 2012 and they're never coming back. If that "sneak peak" you saw is what I think it is, it's a conceptual drawing one of the members here has of a couple of designs that were never made.

That said, by all means, grab yourself an x-metal - there's nothing else out there like them. I suggest considering a Juliet to start - they were the most popular design for a reason, and since there's more of them out there than any other design, they'll be the most affordable (you could probably get a half-X for cheaper but that's because the earstem hinges breaks on them pretty frequently; they're not as desirable).

If you want the best of a current product line, go for a carbon blade.

Last edited: 5/20/14
    Shaun, pjd1234 and mercat like this.
  4. Valkie 2

Valkie 2 Oakley Collector

Agree. Just watch out - it's impossible to own only one X-Metal!

Ry.1982, OXM48, Jben04 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Carrera1963

Carrera1963 Lover of Juliet Premium Member

Like Kronin says, try a reasonably priced Juliet to start with. If you like it, you can branch out into a BNIB example or other X-metal models and if you don't, well there's a ready and willing market out there for them.

6. OakleyGuru379

OakleyGuru379 What is that thing?!

Dead Horse

7. us_Sheikh

us_Sheikh Oakley Enthusiast

Wow, I never knew this has certainly been extremely helful information guys. However I would now be considering my first x-metals but for some reason just dont believe that the juliets would suit me. I am caught between three pairs at the moment and only onw can make it through to me.

I am considering the following (Priority Wise):

1. X-Metal XX with black iridium lenses.
    2. X-Metal Penny with Ruby iridium
    3. X-Metal X-Squared Ruby Iridium

So here are my choices and I pray I get a reasonable price on them as I maybe able to put in a maximumno of $250. :(:( I know its very less but thats all I have now.

8. nes_Zero

nes_Zero Oakley Enthusiast

No man could only own one Xmetal :)

If you feel that Juliets won't fit you, so does the Penny. Juliets are like the most basic among metals.. I think it almost looks good on anybody.

For $250 with the pairs you want, it will be harder to get . Its doable though. But expect to pay around 300-400 depending on condition. Watch Ebay auctions as well.

9. Supero100

Supero100 Oakley Enthusiast Premium Member

Did the Pit Bosses fit you well?

If so, you're probably better off with the larger frame X-Metals, like the XX or Romeo.

IMO, the X-Squared fit narrow heads well.

FWIW, PB1s just barely fit me (they are almost too big); XS fit me perfectly, XX fit a tiny bit large; Juliets & Pennys do not cover my vertical FOV well, they're like watching life filmed in a 16x9 frame on a 4x3 screen.

No praying needed for a low price. Just save your $ and get the ones you want. I'd estimate you'll need $350+.

10. Nortika

Nortika Oakley Expert Premium Member

Good luck in your find, the x-metals are really great glasses!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.