• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Cool stuff to buy - ideas and suggestions

Rustpot

M Frame Lover
Clarkston/Romeo MI
I just bought a house. I don't own.... anything, really.

I'd like to hear what kind of cool stuff you know about that might be cool to get.

Example: The salt and pepper shakers I've got my eye on are 40mm grenades.
Amazon.com: GG&G 40MM Grenade Salt & Pepper Shaker, Set w/Silver & Gold Projectiles: Clothing

I'd really like the items to stay within the realm of affordable. A $500 kitchen table that's built like an Oakley table with riveted accents and formed legs is cool. The same thing for $5,000 not so much.

Furniture, kitchen, bath, garage, living room, office, outdoor, patio - I pretty much need it all, and what I do have probably isn't very cool. Like hand-me-down silverware or my dorm room mini fridge I've lugged around for over a decade and never plugged back in.

I'm not buying it all now, but that's what bookmarks and wishlists are for.

I'd really like to find lightswitches that are built on aircraft style safety toggle switches.

I like Restoration hardware.
Take a look at the Aviator Wing desk.
Flows freely with my Aluminum Single wides ;)

Without suggesting anything specific, IMO a good strategy is to take your time over the years to get nice pieces that will last rather than filling space quickly with cheap IKEA-esque stuff.

Congrats on the new house.

I just bought a house. I don't own.... anything, really.

I'd like to hear what kind of cool stuff you know about that might be cool to get.

Example: The salt and pepper shakers I've got my eye on are 40mm grenades.
Amazon.com: GG&G 40MM Grenade Salt & Pepper Shaker, Set w/Silver & Gold Projectiles: Clothing

I'd really like the items to stay within the realm of affordable. A $500 kitchen table that's built like an Oakley table with riveted accents and formed legs is cool. The same thing for $5,000 not so much.

Furniture, kitchen, bath, garage, living room, office, outdoor, patio - I pretty much need it all, and what I do have probably isn't very cool. Like hand-me-down silverware or my dorm room mini fridge I've lugged around for over a decade and never plugged back in.

I'm not buying it all now, but that's what bookmarks and wishlists are for.

I'd really like to find light switches that are built on aircraft style safety toggle switches.
Congrats on the new house!

Things to buy?
-Steal security door(s) and replace all the door locks to something other than home depot staple quickset brand.
- Motion security lights.
- replace all door and jam screws with minimum 3" screws for main entry doors to your house and attached garage.
- quality outdoor camera system and dvr that is hardwired
- bolt down gun safe that is capable of holding 2x your current collection so you can store other valuables when you are out of town.
-DIY insulating garage door kit, especially if you have a two story house with a room over the garage.
-switch a couple plugs in main rooms for those that have a usb port so it one less thing to hog up your outlet for nightstands or using surge protectors in weird places.

Things to save for:
slush fund for AC unit repairs, roof repairs, water heater, fridge and washer and dryer that are likely to go out if you got them with the house and it's not a brand new build. Never fails in the first year, this kind of thing happens where one of these needs repair or replacing it seems.

I'd definitely jump on security first, and then appliances/utilities. Lighting can be pretty key, and from there you may want to deliberate any necessary paint work before having too much stuff to move around.

Gonna be a hollow house for a while that way, but I figure it pays off in the long run.

being a AV geek, I prioritized that in my first house after security. I ran speaker wire, Coax, Cat6, and installed speakers, routers, mounted tv's and designed/planned cabs and stands. prepped witing for multi-zones too, setup a projector plug for the backyard as well as speaker wires for that also. although a lot of tech is wireless nowadays, nothing beats a hardwired hi-powered sound system. oh and popular on that side of the country too, built-in vaccums. that is if you dont already have one, they are awesome.

i guess what it really boils down to, is do what you want and take your time, like kronin said. i have been a homeowner for 12 years and i have tons of STUFF and probably more that has been thrown away.

oh and lastly, DO get quality stuff, it tends to last longer not only because of build quality but because YOU put more value on it since it wasn't cheap.

cuz who here really cares if someone gets a scratched lens on a pair of gas station sunglasses? right?

Without suggesting anything specific, IMO a good strategy is to take your time over the years to get nice pieces that will last rather than filling space quickly with cheap IKEA-esque stuff.

Congrats on the new house.

Great advice for a new home purchase. After a year you'll look at something you bought to fill a space and say "What the hell did I spend money on that for"???!!!

:sorry:

Latest Posts

Back