1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. SpliceD

SpliceD B-)

So i've been pretty lucky with Craigslist in buying Oakley glasses. I've never been ripped off or scammed and have always come out a winner.

Today i picked up a pair of Carbon/Black Iridium Juliets. No box, coin, bag, anything. Just frames. I probably over paid at $200, but i figured (A) X-Metals are discontinued and getting harder to find and (B) I was on the hunt for a carbon frame to turn it into a Carbon Infinite Hero Juliet.

Craigslist Rant - Juliets Inside - 7316664106_5954c42441_b.jpg

At a glance, frames are in great condition and no major scratches on the lenses despite them not being protected in a microfiber bag. I made sure to make all the normal checks to ensure they're not fakes, and they're not. I get home and start taking it apart to clean and do the IH swap... until i find out that the left orbital screw head is stripped :mad:

I try calling and emailing the guy back and of course he doesn't respond. CL is buy at your own risk anyway, so i figure i'm stuck with them. It's not that huge of a deal since they're still very wearable. I'm just more upset at myself that i never thought to bring a T6 screw with me to check if any of the screws were stripped. Now i know to do that next time around. :sad:

UPDATE: HQ can fix it. http://www.oakleyforum.com/oakley-x...igslist-rant-juliets-inside-3.html#post140758

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. Eckstream1

Eckstream1 Addicted to O

Try an easy-out... :wink:

3. echav23

echav23 Oakley Enthusiast

Well that's a bummer. If you get it out and need a T6 screw let me know...I have a few extras.

4. SpliceD

SpliceD B-)

Tried those before. They suck.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind :smile:

Also tried using superglue. The glue won't hold. It's torqued in there pretty tight.

5. Eckstream1

Eckstream1 Addicted to O

Yeah easy-outs do suck... But sometimes they work.

There was just a guy here that had the same problem...
    He drilled the head out... Soaked the rest of the screw in WD-40... And used medical forceps to get the screw out.

I'll see if I can dig up the thread...

6. Eckstream1

Eckstream1 Addicted to O

7. qBan

qBan The Hijinxer

little things like these prepare you for future purchases. nice pair though

8. SpliceD

SpliceD B-)

Thanks for that. Unfortunately that's not my problem. It's the screw HEAD that's stripped and not the threads. The glasses are still nice and tight, so they're wearable. Just can't get the T6 Bit to sit in the head to catch. I'm probably going to end up walking it into HQ Walk-in warranty and see if they can take it out. While i'm there, anyone want me to bring theirs in for them? You pay for shipping both ways, obviously and the cost to get them tuned up.

9. Dyeraudio

Dyeraudio Juliet Enthusiast

I had a pair with a similar problem. Screw was about 75% stripped to where too much torque resulted in stripping. My solution was using a T7 screwdriver and forcing it into to head. The stripped heads allowed enough space for the T7 bit to bite to where it could be backed out. Sometimes a flat blade will also work to where it will grab what it can to be turned out. Check with Gs300.....his IH Juliet's came with a stripped orbital screw as well. Hope this helps.....good luck!

10. Eckstream1

Eckstream1 Addicted to O

Please read the thread...

The head was stripped... He drilled the head off... He used forceps and WD-40 to get the rest of the screw out.

Not to be rude... But did you even read the other thread?