• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Craigslist Rant - Juliets Inside

SpliceD

Pronounced, "Spliced"
Los Angeles, CA
So i've been pretty lucky with Craigslist in buying Oakley glasses. I've never been ripped off or scammed and have always come out a winner.

Today i picked up a pair of Carbon/Black Iridium Juliets. No box, coin, bag, anything. Just frames. I probably over paid at $200, but i figured (A) X-Metals are discontinued and getting harder to find and (B) I was on the hunt for a carbon frame to turn it into a Carbon Infinite Hero Juliet.

7316664106_5954c42441_b.jpg

At a glance, frames are in great condition and no major scratches on the lenses despite them not being protected in a microfiber bag. I made sure to make all the normal checks to ensure they're not fakes, and they're not. I get home and start taking it apart to clean and do the IH swap... until i find out that the left orbital screw head is stripped :mad:

I try calling and emailing the guy back and of course he doesn't respond. CL is buy at your own risk anyway, so i figure i'm stuck with them. It's not that huge of a deal since they're still very wearable. I'm just more upset at myself that i never thought to bring a T6 screw with me to check if any of the screws were stripped. Now i know to do that next time around. :sad:

UPDATE: HQ can fix it. http://www.oakleyforum.com/oakley-x...igslist-rant-juliets-inside-3.html#post140758

Tried those before. They suck.

Also tried using superglue. The glue won't hold. It's torqued in there pretty tight.

Yeah easy-outs do suck... But sometimes they work.

There was just a guy here that had the same problem...
He drilled the head out... Soaked the rest of the screw in WD-40... And used medical forceps to get the screw out.

I'll see if I can dig up the thread...

Thanks for that. Unfortunately that's not my problem. It's the screw HEAD that's stripped and not the threads. The glasses are still nice and tight, so they're wearable. Just can't get the T6 Bit to sit in the head to catch. I'm probably going to end up walking it into HQ Walk-in warranty and see if they can take it out. While i'm there, anyone want me to bring theirs in for them? You pay for shipping both ways, obviously and the cost to get them tuned up.

I had a pair with a similar problem. Screw was about 75% stripped to where too much torque resulted in stripping. My solution was using a T7 screwdriver and forcing it into to head. The stripped heads allowed enough space for the T7 bit to bite to where it could be backed out. Sometimes a flat blade will also work to where it will grab what it can to be turned out. Check with Gs300.....his IH Juliet's came with a stripped orbital screw as well. Hope this helps.....good luck!

Thanks for that. Unfortunately that's not my problem. It's the screw HEAD that's stripped and not the threads. The glasses are still nice and tight, so they're wearable. Just can't get the T6 Bit to sit in the head to catch. I'm probably going to end up walking it into HQ Walk-in warranty and see if they can take it out. While i'm there, anyone want me to bring theirs in for them? You pay for shipping both ways, obviously and the cost to get them tuned up.

Please read the thread...

Hey guys. Ive been browsing these forums for a while now (actually, ive just been gawking at some of the collections) but i ran into a problem recently. I bought a pair of pennys a while back and was going to change out the scratched up lenses. Problem was the t6 screw was stripped so i had to drill out the head of the screw. I thought one i was done there i could take a pair of needle nose pliers and unscrew the remaining portion. Unfortunately its near impossible! I dont know if the previous owner put locktite of something but the stupid thing is completely stuck! Any suggestions on how i might get this loosened? Ive tried wd40- no dice. Thanks a million for your help!
cf067766-f9b0-5911.jpg

Hey, thanks a ton for the suggestions. I actually finally got it out!!! I just kept soaking the joint with wd40 and used the same forceps as before. Somehow i got it to work. Now i gotta buy some new screws... Ebay i guess or are there other places?
cf067766-15fd-61fb.jpg

The head was stripped... He drilled the head off... He used forceps and WD-40 to get the rest of the screw out.

Not to be rude... But did you even read the other thread?

Latest Posts

Back