• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Crystal Red Frogskins - Real Or Fake?

Frogskins

I am Jim Jannard...
New Jersey
Probably just confirming what I already know, but figured I'd ask the rest of you ...

Frames look legit except the hinges.

Are these real or fake?

t6tj.jpg

uwwc.jpg

rl86.jpg

36wn.jpg

7qtf.jpg

84cw.jpg

OK, the for sale thread made me look at mine. Were there 2 different hinge designs on the Gen II? I have a pair in the cardboard box dated 96 that has the newer hinge. Im not a Frogskin guy so forgive my ignorance.

OK, the for sale thread made me look at mine. Were there 2 different hinge designs on the Gen II? I have a pair in the cardboard box dated 96 that has the newer hinge. Im not a Frogskin guy so forgive my ignorance.
Know what, I had that same suspicion a few months back, when I received a pair in the corrugated black box, yet had extended hinges like in the 3rd gen.
Recently, I even picked up a 1st gen matte black frames with positive red lenses, initially thought those lenses were later custom installs, but I'm starting to think that color was released during 1st gen, although Dann on O-Review lists them as 2nd gen only. Ditto for the royal blue orange iridium, which is listed as 2nd gen, but I've never seen one 2nd gen, only 1st gen and the later Supreme collab.

Ok so I have heard some say there was cross over in gen 2. I don't have any proof of that. The hinge above is typical for a Gen 2 but again people have said that towards the end of the gen 2 run they switched the hinges

I had a pair of crystal red years ago that were legit. hinges were exactly like this... genuine for sure. they felt really cheap compared to other frogskins too.. different plastic had to be used for the crystal red coloring i think...

sorry to revive dead thread..

Back