• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Current Oakley sunglasses lenses too large / oversized?

hinky

Oakley Beginner
I bought a couple of pairs of Oakley sunglasses such as the Tincan and the Tinfoil and thought that these among others had lenses that were either too large or just too wide. Unless you've got a very large and widge face, the lenses extend wide away from the face making them look significantly oversized. The jackets are one of the few that are closer to hugging the face and lenses that seem to more closely fit one's face.

I was very surprised to see that the Oakley Tincan model looked so large on my face. Even the Breadbox seemed to be a pretty large pair, especially vertically. As a result, I noticed that the Tincans only looked good on wider big faces, like on my Korean friends who have big wide faces. The lenses don't look like they extend beyond the contours of the face.

I wanted to get something semi-formal, the wire frames being the best choice. But looking at the Badman model and others, it looks like almost every pair is very oversized or appears that way. I see people wearing them and pretending to "own it" but just looking like people trying too hard with sunglasses that are simply too large for thier faces. I was curious as to the thoughts of other people here. My head size is a 7 and 3/8 so I didn't expect these sunglasses to look so large but apparently they are.

I bought a couple of pairs of Oakley sunglasses such as the Tincan and the Tinfoil and thought that these among others had lenses that were either too large or just too wide. Unless you've got a very large and widge face, the lenses extend wide away from the face making them look significantly oversized. The jackets are one of the few that are closer to hugging the face and lenses that seem to more closely fit one's face.

I was very surprised to see that the Oakley Tincan model looked so large on my face. Even the Breadbox seemed to be a pretty large pair, especially vertically. As a result, I noticed that the Tincans only looked good on wider big faces, like on my Korean friends who have big wide faces. The lenses don't look like they extend beyond the contours of the face.

I wanted to get something semi-formal, the wire frames being the best choice. But looking at the Badman model and others, it looks like almost every pair is very oversized or appears that way. I see people wearing them and pretending to "own it" but just looking like people trying too hard with sunglasses that are simply too large for thier faces. I was curious as to the thoughts of other people here. My head size is a 7 and 3/8 so I didn't expect these sunglasses to look so large but apparently they are.
Welcome to the forum.

Maybe you should post a photo of you wearing various frames so we can figure out what would suit you best?

Then when we give you our thoughts you can ignore us and buy something totally different? Note my sarcasm. :p

Just saying because people have done that here before.

Hm. I find the opposite. But I have a big head.

I have a pair of Tinfoils that I thought would fit well, but are a good bit too narrow. Maybe it's just the shallow lens that's throwing me off, but I doubt it. Doesn't make sense to me based on the fit numbers, compared to the other glasses I have. Perhaps it's due to the frame thickness. Anyway, they sit in the case. Been worn twice. Anyone want to trade me their too big Square Wires or something?

Hm. I find the opposite. But I have a big head.

I have a pair of Tinfoils that I thought would fit well, but are a good bit too narrow. Maybe it's just the shallow lens that's throwing me off, but I doubt it. Doesn't make sense to me based on the fit numbers, compared to the other glasses I have. Perhaps it's due to the frame thickness. Anyway, they sit in the case. Been worn twice. Anyone want to trade me their too big Square Wires or something?
Hold on there .... Transactions here can take place after you meet the exchange requirements. ;)

Thanks for the offer. I have the ability to return the Tin Cans so it's not in issue. The real problem I'm finding is that all the lenses are so darn large. The Jupiter lenses are huge. The Gas Cans are way larger than they appear. It just seems that almost all Oakleys are much larger lenses but perhaps also not contoured to the face. For example, my half jackets look much better and don't appear to jut up out and forward as much. Below isn't me - just a video I found online here -
Look at how far out they jut out by the temples of the head. Perhaps my webcam also makes it look worse (some of them have that fish bowl effect) but on my phone camera it looks about the same. The lenses are so large they dominate the face. And many of the Oakleys I've sen out now seem to do the same thing. I'll see if I can upload a photo given the chance.

oakley.png

Back