• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Custom Cube Build

Got it standing on its own!
IMAG0448.jpg

The jury is still out on the corners. Will not know till I tighten it all down. Some look good, some not as good. more OK, But i didn't want to bite in with my bolts yet so the corners are not tight yet.
IMAG0449.jpg

IMAG0451-1.jpg

These are the triangle scraps I'm thinking of using to mount feet too.
IMAG0452-1.jpg

Tried my hand at welding some aluminum today. Not ready to work on the piece yet. It seemed easy enough to lay beads down across the scrap piece. BUT as soon as i tried working on joining a practice cut I Had trouble in two areas.

One getting the arc across the gap. I can get a weld pool going on the far side but working it into the near side was proving problematic.

Two as i worked along the piece it seemes harder and harder to hold it together. the weld pool kept growing as i worked across and by the end the metal was just falling away. I'm going to go ask for some advice tomorrow from the shop by my place.

About the carriage bolts you can find them without the stuff on the head of the bolt. I had to go to a few places but ended up at a local nut an bolt store and they had them.

The aluminum is a BITCH to work with. i got burned two feet away from my weld from the heat transfer and you need to DUMP amperage into the metal to get a pool going. Needless to say the pretty little "stack O dimes" is not going to happen. I'm thanking my gods that I got this far with it.
IMAG0454-1.jpg

I'm not quite sure how to refinish the aluminum after all the grinding though.

Back