1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. ajirbl

ajirbl Oakley Enthusiast

So I'd been searching for a few months trying to find a sunglass stand suitable for a total of 16 pairs that I've decided I'm going to keep my collection to. My requirements were at least 4 pairs high while displaying the arms. I'd seen a few customs on ebay with parts of Oakley stands kickin around for a price upwards of $200...wasn't going to pay that. So I did what any crazy person would do, started going to any and ever store I could think of to try and find parts to make my own. Here is what I came up with.

Custom DIY Stand - photo.JPG

It's made of a ...stainless steel toilet brush holder from walmart. I cut a piece of the wife's scrapbooking paper that was the exact height and length of the tube's circumference laid out a hole pattern and punched holes in those spots. Wrapped the paper around the tube, marked the spots, drilled holes, installed bolts and washers and tightened them down. Covered the front bolt ends with stainless acorn nuts with rubber washers in front and behind where the nosepiece would be, and used shrink tubing to cover the remaining metal on the bolts. Allows me to display and easily access the 16 pairs I'm going to keep around while not taking up too much room.

Total Cost for the 4 tier stand...$15.

slamriffer, RonkPM and mjt42 like this.
    Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. Luis

Luis Oakley Enthusiast

That looks pretty bad ass. I actually like it, The stainless steel tube makes it look "official".

3. reggavegga

reggavegga Oakley Expert

You don't keep it in the bathroom with a brush in it do you? Just kidding looks cool.

4. Rusty M

Rusty M Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Looks very nice! Good choice going with the stainless!

5. kronin323

kronin323 Font of Useless Knowledge Premium Member

I can recognize the donor parts, but only because you list them... Mostly.:D

Overall, good job. Looks nice.

BTW, if you were trying to maintain selfie anonymity, that's gone now - see lens reflections...:wink:

Nice set of XXs.

6. Raptor

Raptor Oakley Enthusiast

Awesome job, looks good

7. xmetalmaniac

xmetalmaniac Made of Metal Premium Member Lifetime Member

Great idea!!!! I love when members take the time to go out on a limb and try stuff!! I would put the rubber cap on the nosebride mount also with a few o rings, as you did with the stem holder. It would suck if you grabbed it quickly and scratched the nosebridge with that acorn nut.

8. ajirbl

ajirbl Oakley Enthusiast

There is a rubber washer/o-ring behind the acorn nut to protect the nose bridge. I just need to be careful when I put them on the stand.

xmetalmaniac likes this.
  9. xmetalmaniac

xmetalmaniac Made of Metal Premium Member Lifetime Member

I was checking and they have a black nylon acorn but available.

10. ajirbl

ajirbl Oakley Enthusiast

Where? Fastenal? I was only able to find the whitish yellow nylon.