• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Custom Lens Review Thread

You lost me, comparison on what Custom quality compared to OEM????

Was referring to the lenses through qtrain. I think the confusion is you were mentioned but not a customer of his lenses. Nonetheless interesting info to explain the difference between the other known brands.

The Mirror or as Oakley like to call it Iridium coating can be an issue. Color shade coating is also the problem in most cases. That has to be done in high quality similar to Oaks. The Line gear color coating is what distorts the vision. The prism particles for the color are too large and distort the image. Most cheaper lenses this is the case. When up close to the eye the eye corrects it like in the LIneGear, but that causes eye strain and possible issues down the road.

I'm fairly certain they pretty much the highest quality mirroring you can get. They're done in a prototype machine, 1/2 in the world, that is made for small runs, instead of massive batches like Oakley.

I'll see if I can get something for you to test.

Man, I'm wanting to try some of your Lenses as well (Sorry Infinitehero bro, some colors missing from OEM that Qtrain's buddy seemed to have.. ie: X-Men red), but I'm so unable to find the link to where you had the pictures of the samples. Could you post those at the top of this thread as well or something?

Man, I'm wanting to try some of your Lenses as well (Sorry Infinitehero bro, some colors missing from OEM that Qtrain's buddy seemed to have.. ie: X-Men red), but I'm so unable to find the link to where you had the pictures of the samples. Could you post those at the top of this thread as well or something?
They're in the sale thread, but I suppose so

Ok, here we go. I have been extremely excited to get my hands on a set of custom cut C-Six lenses, especially after @qtrain23 posted his custom cuts on the forum a while back in his C-Six. Now the wait is over. I put my order in for 4 sets and received them the other day and boy was I surprised with the quality of these lenses. The clarity on all sets is unreal and the edge work is impeccable, as if they came straight from Oakley. The fit is perfect with no wiggling inside the frame whatsoever. I've had my fair share of loose aftermarket lenses and these are a perfect fit. The colors I received are just stunning! I'm really into the vivid lens colors and these did not disappoint. One thing that hasn't been done on these yet is the projection slide test that @InfiniteHero used to test Linegear lenses against OEM lenses, which I assume will be done in the near future by someone. I am curious to know how these compare to OEM lenses as far as optical quality. I have tried many of the aftermarket lenses over the years in several different X-Metal pairs and I have been less than impressed with the quality and fit, aside from the wide range of colors that are available that Oakley has never graced us with. Within the past year and a half, I have been working with members of the forum to replace all of my aftermarket lenses with OEM Oakley cuts, and then some. I've ended up with way more lenses than I have frames. The C-Six was at the top of my list for custom cuts, but there wasn't anyone available to cut them, until qtrain23 came along and found a guy that could provide us with some awesome lenses. Thanks to you my friend I have some beautiful cuts for my C-Six's and I have already ordered more. I wouldn't hesitate to buy these lenses for any of my Oakleys; they are top notch. Here are a few pictures of the lenses and edge work.
muvaja8y.jpg
5abyjegu.jpg
5a7uhu7u.jpg
y9ydymyh.jpg
yjepu6ub.jpg
5u5u6eju.jpg
apa4ygyt.jpg
ynyjy6up.jpg
mesu6ary.jpg
umu2u4u5.jpg
e2a9a9ej.jpg
tu5azyma.jpg
ena4u2e7.jpg
yny8u2a2.jpg
azu8e5a7.jpg

Last edited:
They look great, and good job on the cuts. I like the rough edge compared to my polished edge. Good that someone is providing an aftermarket high quality lens for those now.

They look great, and good job on the cuts. I like the rough edge compared to my polished edge. Good that someone is providing an aftermarket high quality lens for those now.

I'm not sure why on the c6 they are a bit rough. It's the only lens that's like that. I'd imagine it's due to the size.

I use a wet machine for my cuts, and the bevel is the same as yours "V" , but since its wet and the stone does make a diff, they come out clear as glass on mine. If I change over to a dry cut the bevel will look like yours and the factories bevel, not the shape, but the texture. The rough texture prevents light from shining through an edge and bouncing off the orbital on lighter colored frames and making it look like a light gap. Best example I can come up with. Like I said I like that rough factory like edge.

I use a wet machine for my cuts, and the bevel is the same as yours "V" , but since its wet and the stone does make a diff, they come out clear as glass on mine. If I change over to a dry cut the bevel will look like yours and the factories bevel, not the shape, but the texture. The rough texture prevents light from shining through an edge and bouncing off the orbital on lighter colored frames and making it look like a light gap. Best example I can come up with. Like I said I like that rough factory like edge.

I see. I did see him talking about having to paint the edge of an rx lens to prevent light from coming in. Interesting stuff you'd never think of.

Back