1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Bronzefunk

Bronzefunk Oakley Enthusiast Premium Member Lifetime Member

I found this pic on the inter-webs and I have never seen an X Metal in this shade before.
    I know X-man and Dr Chop and IH do customizations but Im asking if anyone knows specifically who did this piece in Red or who does this work specifically.
    Im looking to get a cost estimate for getting an XS into a very similar look

Is is painted?
    or is it anodized?
    or is it Cerakoted?
    or is it something else?
    or is it possibly a fake? (looks legit to me)

[Useful info/insight is greatly appreciated but if you don't have anything useful to add please just move along.]

Thanks

Custom Red Romeo 1 info - Romeo-RED.jpg

motoGP_fanatic likes this.
    Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. jdd32

jdd32 X Metal Workshop

@zwc0442 are you painting metals again?

Bronzefunk likes this.
  3. zwc0442

zwc0442 Oakley Expert Premium Member

I do have something like that I am just finishing up. I'll have a few pics of it tomorrow.

4. Bronzefunk

Cant wait to see!

5. jdd32

jdd32 X Metal Workshop

Regarding that R1, it looks pearlescent candy red. Definitely not anodized and i'm not sure cerakote have something that fancy. It's a definite paint job of some sort.

Bronzefunk likes this.
  6. Bronzefunk

I see, interesting cuz I'm definitely looking for something 'candy red-ish' and flashy, I haven't seen that look in other custom XM frames, with the exception of some anodized pairs. but this clearly looks different from anodizing.
    Can you tell me; I assume paint is less robust than Cerakote? and will be more easily prone to deterioration?

Chris A Hardaway likes this.
  7. jdd32

jdd32 X Metal Workshop

It depends on the paint used. Cerakote, durakote, single/multi stage, powder coat, they're all paint systems relying on physical bonding to the substrate. The money is in the quality of prep and the system used. Eg $5 spray can won't last the day. Likewise an amateur doing cerakote can deliver crappy results. I'm not a paint guy, so I'll leave it to master painters to chime in

motoGP_fanatic and Bronzefunk like this.
  8. zwc0442

zwc0442 Oakley Expert Premium Member

Titanium won't anodize red by the way. It'll go pink but that about as close to red as it will go.

motoGP_fanatic likes this.
  9. Bronzefunk

for arguments sake check this out
    Does this look anodized? to my non-expert eye it does
    Its definitely red.
    Of course that doesn't mean its necessarily Titanium but the parts don't look like obvious fakes.
    its true though that I almost never see Red Juliets unless its paint or cerakote which is why I saved these pics, so unique looking

Custom Red Romeo 1 info - 20150604_072819.jpg Custom Red Romeo 1 info - 20150604_073037.jpg Custom Red Romeo 1 info - 20150604_114435.jpg Custom Red Romeo 1 info - 20150619_092818.jpg Custom Red Romeo 1 info - 20150619_092837.jpg

10. jdd32

jdd32 X Metal Workshop

Painted

Bronzefunk likes this.