• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Custom Water Transfer Graphix Info Update

UPDATE.... I spoke to a guy who is familiar with doing this type of work. He told me it MUST be cleared, or it can wear off eventually due to the oils in your skin, or excessive handling. He also said there are points on the glasses that may have an issue like the hinge area. I am going to follow up on this when I talk to him again. This type of graphix work is excellent for covering 3D items with art but it must be cleared to seal the art inside.

I had a feeling about this based on some research I was doing. I am always hesitant about doing something or sending someone else in to "test the water first" without doing some research.

This is why some of the older Oakley frames either FMJ or Magnesium for example had major issues with wear marks.

This is also a good example of why I believe the 24k "Goldbrook" has not been released and why the chrome radars had problems. We can create awesome pieces of art to our frames, ut at what cost in the end. I am still going to give it a try, its the long term issue I can't answer at this point......

I think a clear coat will fix or help prevent these issues. We definitely know the cost when it comes to customizing glasses ourselves.

I'm still down. BTW, some stores have already received some Goldbrooks.

I think a clear coat will fix or help prevent these issues. We definitely know the cost when it comes to customizing glasses ourselves.

I'm still down. BTW, some stores have already received some Goldbrooks.

I have delt with clear coats before in automotive finishes. If they clear the entire piece, we will have to wet sand the area inside the hinge otherwise it will crack and flake off. Mabe using an xacto knife to clean out the dried clear from the hinge. I forsee an issus with this.....

I'd rather have them clear coat the whole thing and then sand the inside of the hinge area.

Nobody said this would be easy.

So when do you expect to have your test pair done? And what design are you going to get?

hell yeah! the Chicago L would be sweet on a pair of sunnies!
Seriously, right? I'd HAVE to break my one frame per model rule just for that.

I'd do a polished white Gascan with the stems in the Tokyo Subway map.

Then I'd do a Hijinx/Antix/Batwolf with the entire frame wrapped in DC Metro map.

Too bad the BART sucks so much that I wouldn't do one of those for my hometown. LOL

If anyone would like to see how it would look, I do have the JP Auclair Tokyo Subway Signature Series Crowbar I can take pics of.

Back