• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Cut Backs On Production Costs?

jk-27

Oakley Expert
Premium Member
I got some more Frogskins in and have noticed that my last few pairs are now coming with just the sunglasses inside the microbag in the box, whereas before they'd come with the microbag wrapped around one stem and a bit of plastic covering the other stem, then be put inside a plastic bag and then be put inside the box. Has anyone else noticed this or have I just got some duff pairs?

Maybe they've realised they can save a ton of money but not using so much plastic and/or help the environment by cutting back on plastic use?

Oakley has been making an initiative to go green so that could be why. That also explains why Oakley is using more basic boxes now on special editions and etc.

I got some more Frogskins in and have noticed that my last few pairs are now coming with just the sunglasses inside the microbag in the box, whereas before they'd come with the microbag wrapped around one stem and a bit of plastic covering the other stem, then be put inside a plastic bag and then be put inside the box. Has anyone else noticed this or have I just got some duff pairs?

Maybe they've realised they can save a ton of money but not using so much plastic and/or help the environment by cutting back on plastic use?

noticed that too. but no clue to what could the reason be though. just thought maybe they got lazy trying to wrap the microbag around the arms and place them in the plastic. too tedious. ha!

Like Batwolf said, Oakley is making an attempt at going more green. this means we will be seeing a lot less interesting collector's edition boxes with the limited releases as well.

My guess are three things:

1) The aforementioned push to go green

2) The amount of money they must be saving on plastic alone is probably unimaginable!

3) By putting the frames in the microbag, it prevents the nose bridges and lenses from getting micro-scratches from rubbing against the harsh plastic. The VR46 polished frogs are the first frogs with a polished frame that I received without a single scratch!

Going green = going cheap too. It's just like those horrible new style DVD cases with the recycle logo that have the holes in the case. Cutting out 10% of the plastic adds up when you produce millions of units.

Going green = going cheap too. It's just like those horrible new style DVD cases with the recycle logo that have the holes in the case. Cutting out 10% of the plastic adds up when you produce millions of units.

yup.

i watch the show weeds and i have all the season on dvd, the first 2 season came in the shiny packaging, and the rest they started making it with the more flat looking paper i guess you could say.

When entertainment has completed its transition to digital distribution, what will be next? Clothes? Sunglasses!?? Oh, hold on a second fellas, I need to download a new pair of pants. :laugh:

Back