• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Cut The Cable Cord

gs300

Oakley Expert
Elizabethtown, Ky
Anybody on here stream tv with roku and over the air local HD channels with antenna?

I am thinking of dropping directv and doing the roku and over the air antenna for locals. BUT I'd like to get input because I have younger kids and the have their shows they watch

Input would be much appreciated guys

We cut the cable cord in my house years ago. I have a Roku in one room and an Apple TV in the other. I have to say I prefer the stability and UI of the Apple TV over the Roku.

As far as content, I have netflix and Hulu plus. I also have a nice HD antenna in the attic for HD local channels. I have a 2 yr old who finds plenty if kids shows to watch. My wife and I love the original netflix shows that have been coming out: House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, and lilyhammer.

We do still hit the redbox for new release movies every few weeks. The content on Netflix is plenty. The content on Hulu is current. The content on antenna is live. We spend about $20 a month for both services. Saves us roughly $80 a month compared to cable. We love it.

Yeah, the channel selection on ATV is less and they have an interest in keeping some out as to not compete with their iTunes sales. Roku is nice, but it's just not as polished. Kinda like android vs iOS!

As far as antennas, I got online and made sure I positioned the antenna towards the towers using a compass and the locations of the towers. Reception is great most of the time and I'm about 40 miles away from the towers. I don't have a power antenna since I'm within range to not need it. I would suggest you get a power antennas since you're so far from the towers.

Edit: just looked at the antenna you are getting, it looks nice! Way better than mine...

I am strongly looking into doing this soon, I plan on getting an attic antenna, already have netflix, getting Hulu+, and hopefully aereo if it passes in the supreme court

For those that have done this...what about the ability to watch live sporting events?

If it's on public, over the air stations I watch them in HD using my HDTV antenna. Otherwise, you have to find an online site that streams them. There are some sports channel subscriptions on Apple TV and Roku, but I've never looked into them. I just watch football and all my teams play on the local networks.

Latest Posts

Back