• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Cut The Cable Cord

Damn don't tell me this. I have to have espn and big 10 network as options.....wiziwig cost? And is it only for espn or does it allow other channels?

I've been leaning toward going with a Roku 3 or the newer Amazon fire tv paired with Hulu plus and either netflix and/or amazon prime. Just those darn sports
Wiziwig is a free streaming service that pretty much offers every sport under the sun. You do not get high quality video though, so if this is a priority, you will not like Wiziwig. I gave up the HD sports and I get pissed sometimes, but it is way better than paying a monthly TV subscription just to watch sports. So Netflix and Amazon Prime is what I use with an Apple TV, and of course Wiziwig for sports. It's been saving me over $2,000 per year, which in turn helps me to buy more Oaks :cool-33:. Do I regret not watching HD sports on a 120" screen with a home theater projector? Absolutely, but when I think about the cost savings it calms me down.

If you can't tune into ESPN on your plan, you won't be able to use the WATCH ESPN stuff. I went through the pain a while back. I was able to watch ESPN on economy cable, but there was a glitch that got fixed. On the Internet side, I was blocked.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about this for a while.

Right now I have Time Warner for cable, internet, and TV.

About 6 months ago we got a Roku 3 for a TV in a room with no cable connection. The great thing about the Roku and Time Warner, since Im already a subscriber, I get access to all of the Time Warner channels (or most of them) through the Roku via WIFI. No local channels though. So my questions are:

1) if I cancel my Time Warner Cable and phone, and just have the internet through them, will I still have access to the Time Warner cable channels on the Roku?
2) what is a "good enough" antenna to pick up the local stations?

If I can get most of those channels through the Roku with just TW internet, and locals over the air, Im in!

my questions are:

1) if I cancel my Time Warner Cable and phone, and just have the internet through them, will I still have access to the Time Warner cable channels on the Roku?

2) what is a "good enough" antenna to pick up the local stations?

1) No, you only get the channels with a cable tv subscription, not just internet.

2) This just depends on how far you are from your local tv antennas. You can google your tv antenna locations and find an antenna that is rated for that distance.

Just added Sling TV to my Roku because they have a 40% off, 3 month promo. ($15 per month for Blue.)

Netflix is about $13.00. Hulu is still at $5.99 per month (with commercials.)

So I'm currently spending about $34.00 per month to watch tv.

I'm sure since this thread was written a lot more folks have cut the cord.

So what TV services are you paying for?

i guess at this point its just assumed that everyone would have High Speed internet so that can really no longer be counted in the cost.

1. YoutubeTV - price just went up to $55 so might have to look at other options but love the fact that i get my local sports and news.
2. Netflix 4K - get a discount from t-mobile so net $3
3, Amazon Prime - gonna pay for prime anyways so....

Worthy bump.

I have cable TV, still. I watch some of everything and I cant be bothered to cut the cord at the moment.

I am looking into YouTube TV when some of my shows go on hiatus. $90 internet plus $50 YouTube TV and an occasional $20 Philo subscription sounds better than the $190 I am paying to comcast.

The below the line fees are the worst ($17 for TV and another $17 for taxes)

I never considered changing before because none included a sufficient local TV package. I cannot get an OTA signal in my apartment.

Worthy bump.

I have cable TV, still. I watch some of everything and I cant be bothered to cut the cord at the moment.

I am looking into YouTube TV when some of my shows go on hiatus. $90 internet plus $50 YouTube TV and an occasional $20 Philo subscription sounds better than the $190 I am paying to comcast.

The below the line fees are the worst ($17 for TV and another $17 for taxes)

I never considered changing before because none included a sufficient local TV package. I cannot get an OTA signal in my apartment.

Q, I would highly recommend YouTubeTV as they've added a bunch of new channels and you get your local channels and local sports. If you are in between major markets you get to choose which one (Providence and Boston for us). I get NBCSports New England for Celtics and NESN for the Red Sox along with all of the ESPN's and NBATV. I bought the Modem outright so pay Verizon $80 for Gigabit and $50 for YouTubeTV so $130 net.
CC

Q, I would highly recommend YouTubeTV as they've added a bunch of new channels and you get your local channels and local sports. If you are in between major markets you get to choose which one (Providence and Boston for us). I get NBCSports New England for Celtics and NESN for the Red Sox along with all of the ESPN's and NBATV. I bought the Modem outright so pay Verizon $80 for Gigabit and $50 for YouTubeTV so $130 net.
CC
That's the only reason I considered YTTV. They have locals nationwide now. Tallahassee was added when they went national finally. I watch sports and I appreciate the Fox sports channels and the MLB Network.

I bought my modem 3 (almost 4) years ago, so I am saving on the modem fee. I just cannot upgrade the internet speed since the modem is old, but the speed I have is adequate for my use.

Latest Posts

Back