• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Cutting Custom X Metal Lenses?

I find Turbines somewhat confusing, perhaps they are different for different markets. In Australia they're all pollaric ellipsoids and I recall seeing official page once stating that before they did a mass update and removed all descriptions about curvature across the site.

Sorry buddy, didnt answer your question specifically, I did you just didnt know it :) Polaric Ellipsoid lenses Oakely "uses" in every lens they make. Nothing special about it, except it is an excellent name to seem like a special process. In optical terms its called "Base In Prism" and not every lens is made with this, but good quality ones are. In the Radar type lenses where they are thin the process is proprietary, but.... for all others they measure differently across the lens from front to back. They are ground that way so nothing distorts across the viewing area and all objects remain in their correct spot. Basic enough of an explanation but not sure what you mean by reflections.

I may have confused myself between toric shield vs pollaric ellipsoids. To my understanding, toric shields are different base curves and pollaric ellipsoid lenses are cut from that, which is totally different base curve to traditional lens blanks of base 6 & base 8 for example. Bottom line, it works for what we want it to do :drinks:

Basically a pollaric ellipsoid is the same as a toric lens. The base curve horizontally is more steep than it is vertically, not the same on all axises. That's why they measure around 5 base in many cases vertically, and 7.25 horizontally to better fit the frame wrap. These lenses honestly aren't the best optics from top to bottom. The prism compensation is best from side to side. Most other Oakley lenses are "spherical" and match the same base curve 6 or 8 on all axises. I.e. the same vertical and horizontal. I don't recommend pollaric ellipsoid lenses being used in most frames except gascan, and turbine. There is a list somewhere with more specifics.

Last edited:
I was incorrect, the toric lenses look to measure only 4 base curve vertical (top to bottom) and 6.75 side to side (horizontally) like fuel cell, gascan, batwolf, radar(lock), turbine etc. It's easy to custom cut 8 bad lenses from big taco into these. I'm about to do a Racing Jacket Prizm Road lens custom cut for a Juliet this next few days. Pictures to follow ! Prizm Juliet's will be sweet!

Back