• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Cyclops Penny On The Bay... Kinda

OK, question submitted of:

"Could you please explain what value you added to a $30 pair of exovista aftermarket lenses that justifies the $570 markup?"

If others want to join in, I think it'd be cool if we all asked the exact same question... copy and paste away...

I was expecting to be ignored, but the dude actually replied:

"Dear kronin323,

Hello there

Our lenses are of far superior quality than those other lenses. Are material purity and transmission are exceptional and unmatched.

Our price is higher, but we accept offers in the $350-400 range which is competitive and on par with what other sellers are asking for similar products.

Thank you for your interest and have a blessed day

- roguetraderx"

My reply?

"Can you provide an example of similar products being sold in the $350 - $400 range?"

Well, with all the blatant lying, one might make a case with ebay of fraud, but I'm getting bored with this guy now. BTW, he replied again with a link to these overpriced rubies as a "comparable example":

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Oak...01372346?pt=US_Sunglasses&hash=item45fd3ceeba

At least those are actually OEM...

OK, maybe one more shot... My reply:

"Apologies, but that's not the same thing. Those are genuine, discontinued OEM Oakley replacement lenses. Yours are resold $30 aftermarket exovistas that are still in production. Like these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXOVISTA-RU...98431156?pt=US_Sunglasses&hash=item1e91ff10b4

If you claim they have optics comparable to OEM, can you provide objective evidence, such as results from a clarity test, a prism test, and a refractive power test? How about high mass and high velocity impact tests?"

How about this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OAKLEY-X-ME...ENT-LENSES-X-MEN-RED-no-juliet-/261577982566?

I had been watching this forever but backed out last minute. Is the seller legit and is the price fair for these non-OEM lenses?(for future reference) It looks like he has been selling these on Ebay for quite a while and he has actually been getting positive feedback.

Thanks.

Do some searching around the forum; there's quite a lot of discussion about aftermarket lenses and why to stay away. The ones you posted are aftermarkets with no mention of who made them, just a bunch of claims of quality with nothing to back them up.

I'm still waiting to hear what the Cyclops obsession is all about. The Brazilians I get, loud colors and whatnot. But of all of the recent movie characters a James Marsden character in an action movie? I mean Hoot from BHD I could see, Eric Bana is at least an actiony type guy (even with a few poor performances mixed in there).

But the lengths people go to, what with the multi-hundred dollars for lenses advertised as Cyclops, the crazy side blinders that ruin the wearability of the glasses, etc. It's now well known the actual movie lenses made the actor physically ill, compromising quality to meet the unobtainable look of lenses made from ruby.

I don't get it. Someone please explain.

Well, he shoots friggin' lasers from his eyes!!!!!

j/k, idk either... I thought he was miscast from the first movie...

Back