• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Dark Spots On Gen 1 Frames

pupusasrock

I should Work at Oakley
USA
I have noticed that some of the used Gen 1 Juliet plasma frames have dark, almost black spots on them. I think I remember reading that the Gen 1 frame has problems with sweat or something like that. Anyway, if I bought I pair like that, is there any way to get the dark spots off, or would they have to be refinished by X-Man?

You should look for input from @BriP, he really knows his stuff, helped me recently with some similar info regarding a 1st gen Ti frame, thread link follows:
Need help identifying finish | Oakley Forum

An argument might be made that you're better off doing a cleaning process to stop further corrosion but otherwise leaving them "weathered", but I defer to him and any others who want to chime in..

thanks @kronin323! yup spots on gen 1 plasma is fairly common. they do not remove easily.

if you want to refinish a frame, please dont do it to a gen 1 frame :) go get a late gen frame and work with that.

we like gen1's for that raw look- and i rather have a slightly tarnished gen1 than a refinished frame. proper care will stop further spots showing up, and you can keep it as-is.

BriP, I saw from kronin's thread that you mentioned just washing it with mild soap. Should that be done on a regular basis? I just wouldn't want the condition of the frames to get worse. I agree with you though, I love to the look of a gen 1 frame.

Did the X-Metal finish have issues with pitting on Gen 1 frames as well?

Is this out of the ordinary, or is it just dings not necessarily pitting?

Julietb1_zpsec751166.jpeg

Last edited:
the pitting isn't corrosion,its the process of casting the metal in the early days.you wont find anything that will corrode Ti.the black spots are however a form of corrosion,and that has to do with the plasma finish that was introduced to the frames.i dont know the chemical makeup of the coating but it doesn't seem to be durable to salts and body oils .

the pitting isn't corrosion,its the process of casting the metal in the early days.you wont find anything that will corrode Ti.the black spots are however a form of corrosion,and that has to do with the plasma finish that was introduced to the frames.i dont know the chemical makeup of the coating but it doesn't seem to be durable to salts and body oils .
In the pic I posted of the Gen 1 X-Metal, do you think that is pitting/corrosion, or small dings in the frame?

casting issues in the early days, as they went to investment casting later on they started polishing and plasma finishing because the finishes were better.

Did the X metal XX plasmas suffer from the same finish issues as the juliets? I do not see multiple generations for XX plasmas on o-review's x metal serial list, so I'm assuming (and could be very wrong in doing so) that as the plasma finishes improved for the juliets, the same, improved finishes were used on the XXs--especially on higher serial numbered XXs?