• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Deep and Shallow Water Prizm - May 1st Release

Does anyone know the actual benefit to using the shallow Prizm versus the deep blue in shallower water? I have been using deep blue polar forever for fishing lakes and ponds. I would like to keep a darker tint due to my eyes being fairly sensitive to bright sunlight. Would anyone familiar with the polar versions of both chime in here as I assume the differences between the two the Prizm versions may be similar to the polar versions?

Does anyone know the actual benefit to using the shallow Prizm versus the deep blue in shallower water? I have been using deep blue polar forever for fishing lakes and ponds. I would like to keep a darker tint due to my eyes being fairly sensitive to bright sunlight. Would anyone familiar with the polar versions of both chime in here as I assume the differences between the two the Prizm versions may be similar to the polar versions?

I do have both deep and shallow.

The marketing materials for the original deep and shallow blues said:

"Oakley polarization eliminates the blinding rays of glare with greater than 99% efficiency, and our manufacturing technique eliminates the haze and visual distortion that comes with ordinary polarized lenses. In addition to filtering out 100% of all UV, Oakley DEEP BLUE™ lenses carve out as much blue light as possible to increase visual acuity and alleviate the eye-straining effect of harsh wavelengths. They also boost contrast and depth perception so you’ll have a more accurate view of the trophy pursuing your lure. With all that technology, your only problem is figuring out what to do after you’ve landed the day’s limit."

"Choose between two performance options. The first is our DEEP BLUE IRIDIUM POLARIZED lens, perfect for the combination of bright sun and deep water where you need distinct color recognition to spot the action down below. When the water isn't as deep, take advantage of the enhanced contrast of our SHALLOW BLUE IRIDIUM POLARIZED lens to optimize depth perception and take the hook to the fish."

So again, the only real difference between the two is that shallow is contrast base while deep is neutral base. The "carving out as much blue light as possible" function is the same for both. Really I think it's a bit gimmicky...

I would hope the "fine tuning" that Prizm allows will create more honest use case-specific differences between the two, but I'd say chances are that if you were fine using the deep blue in shallow conditions, the same will hold true with the Prizms.

Wonder how these lenes are going compare with blue iridium polarized. Hmmm going be a toss up.. prizm vs polarized for me, I already have the blue iridium polarized and it a dope lens. Can't wait to try the new prizm lens.

Wonder how these lenes are going compare with blue iridium polarized. Hmmm going be a toss up.. prizm vs polarized for me, I already have the blue iridium polarized and it a dope lens. Can't wait to try the new prizm lens.

You talking the traditional blue, as in the polished / blue Juliet colorway, or the fishing-specific deep blue?

I'm on the same boat man. My favorite fishing lens is Deep Blue Polar. I can't WAIT to try out the Prizm version!

I was wearing deep blue polar yesterday - I've only had them for just under five months and really haven't broken them in too much.

I turned into a beautiful day, with a big blue sky and small, scattered clouds in the distance. Deep blue may be a neutral base, but it almost felt contrast, looked really good. So good that I had a coworker check out the view through them; he was really impressed, too.

You talking the traditional blue, as in the polished / blue Juliet colorway, or the fishing-specific deep blue?
uploadfromtaptalk1430407499141.jpg

It deep blue polarized.. if the new prizm lens is not polarized, wondering how it going fight glare?? Kind of a toss up.

These two new water prizms are both polarized - check out the sticker in the OP of this thread, and a few posts down where the upcoming colorways are listed...

I'm glad; I wish all the new prizms were polar...
I'm screwed then, if there polarized retail is 150 dollars most likely, guess I'm have new beach, jet ski, fishing lens I have to buy.

Back