• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Deep and Shallow Water Prizm - May 1st Release

Here are my new Flak Jacket Water Prizm. I love them!
091.JPG
092.JPG

I swapped in my Prizm Deep Flak lenses on my short beach trip to Pattaya last week. Here is my impressions on using them at the beach.
I broke all the "rules" about wearing Oakleys at the beach. In the ocean, in the pool, floating on my back. With lots of suncreen on my face.
First, they definitely have the hydrophobic factory coating. Water was beading off the surface and falling off quickly.
They are also heavily polarized, while wading in the water looking down through the bottom of the lens, it was very psychadelic.
From a distance and from the height of my 5th floor balcony, i could see all the reefs and rocks very clearly through the water. That was pretty impressive.
The negatives are that while in waist high water i couldn't see through the water at all. That may be due to the fact that the water is so dirty in Pattaya. It was greenish and cloudy, not blue and clear. I'll have to try in Phuket or Samui next time where the water is clearer.
Also the light transmission is borderline too light. At the bright beach at mid-day it was almost too bright with these lenses.
As far as tint and clarity. Its a nice grey base lens with a slight contrasty look, and vibrant colors. Felt similar to my emerald lenses in bright sun, so that was nice.
Overall good for the beach but almost too light tinted. And i was disappointed with not being able to see through the water when swimming.
Got them with a friends and family coupon. Not sure if they are worth the high price. I would get a Maritime Prizm or use Jade Polarized at a lower cost, with similar results.

Last edited:
I swapped in my Prizm Deep Flak lenses on my short beach trip to Pattaya last week. Here is my impressions on using them at the beach.
I broke all the "rules" about wearing Oakleys at the beach. In the ocean, in the pool, floating on my back. With lots of suncreen on my face.
First, they definitely have the hydrophobic factory coating. Water was beading off the surface and falling off quickly.
They are also heavily polarized, while wading in the water looking down through the bottom of the lens, it was very psychadelic.
From a distance and from the height of my 5th floor balcony, i could see all the reefs and rocks very clearly through the water. That was pretty impressive.
The negatives are that while in waist high water i couldn't see through the water at all. That may be due to the fact that the water is so dirty in Pattaya. It was greenish and cloudy, not blue and clear. I'll have to try in Phuket or Samui next time where the water is clearer.
Also the light transmission is borderline too light. At the bright beach at mid-day it was almost too bright with these lenses.
As far as tint and clarity. Its a nice grey base lens with a slight contrasty look, and vibrant colors. Felt similar to my emerald lenses in bright sun, so that was nice.
Overall good for the beach but almost too light tinted. And i was disappointed with not being able to see through the water when swimming.
Got them with a friends and family coupon. Not sure if they are worth the high price. I would get a Maritime Prizm or use Jade Polarized at a lower cost, with similar results.

The funny thing is even though you say they are heavy on the polarization they do not darken polarized screens much. I have no problem reading my phone, car nav screen, ect while wearing them like other polarized lenses do.

The funny thing is even though you say they are heavy on the polarization they do not darken polarized screens much. I have no problem reading my phone, car nav screen, ect while wearing them like other polarized lenses do.
I swapped them out for the drive home so I didn't look at any screens or displays. I was just commenting on the feel of the almost dizzying rainbow swirly effect when looking down at the waves through the bottom half of the lens. Good to know it doesn't black out screens.

I swapped them out for the drive home so I didn't look at any screens or displays. I was just commenting on the feel of the almost dizzying rainbow swirly effect when looking down at the waves through the bottom half of the lens. Good to know it doesn't black out screens.

i should clarify that they do darken screens a bit, but your head would have to be completely sideways so you don't see any darkening at any normal angles you look at the screens. either Oakley got smart about the orientation of their polarization filters, or this lens is just polarized different some how. all my other polarized pairs darken the screens when your head is level looking at a screen.

If they changed the orientation of the filter, it wouldn't work right. It could be that it filters less.

Really it's LCD screens that differ with their polar orientation. Some are a problem and some aren't.

If they changed the orientation of the filter, it wouldn't work right. It could be that it filters less.

Really it's LCD screens that differ with their polar orientation. Some are a problem and some aren't.

yea, it just filters differently some how. its the same screens i'm looking at with different results on the angles they darken. also to be clear, the deep water pair i am talking about is a factory pair of fast jacket lenses in a fast jacket frame. not any of my x metal cuts. so it is the factory orientation for the lens.

yea, it just filters differently some how. its the same screens i'm looking at with different results on the angles they darken. also to be clear, the deep water pair i am talking about is a factory pair of fast jacket lenses in a fast jacket frame. not any of my x metal cuts. so it is the factory orientation for the lens.
I concur about different polarization for LCDs with Prizm. I now have Deep Water Prizm and Prizm Daily. Both only black out screens partially. While my non-Prizm polarized, like Titanium and Tungsten black out the same screens almost entirely.

Does anyone know when these may be available in RX versions?

From what I have gathered, only non-polarized PRIZM (both baseball, golf, road, trail) lenses are available in a RX version, but I haven't been able to find dates or information on the prescription polarized PRIZM

Does anyone know when these may be available in RX versions?

From what I have gathered, only non-polarized PRIZM (both baseball, golf, road, trail) lenses are available in a RX version, but I haven't been able to find dates or information on the prescription polarized PRIZM
Welcome to the forum. Have you asked your eye doctor at all? He may know.

Back