1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. Jruta

Jruta Oakley Beginner

Ok, i know I've brought this up before, but as far as the nose bridge goes on Pennys, whats beyond the rivets?? Anyone know whats inside the frame pieces that loosens up? There MUST be some type of rubber or plastic sleeve thats held tightly by the rivets. I ask this because eventually oakley will no longer service these, and i dont know about anyone else, but i plan on keeping mine LONG after oakley wont take care of them any longer. I want to learn to tune them up myself.

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. xmetalmaniac

xmetalmaniac Made of Metal Premium Member Lifetime Member

There is an eyelet attached to the orbital. There is an oval rubber washer that goes around the eyelet when the orbital is attached to the nosebridge the rivet goes through and holds them together. Similar to a cotter pin. The frames loosen because the rubber gasket stretches and flattens out, thus creating more flex at the pivot point. Think of the gasket as a buffer to a linkage...

3. dcl10

dcl10 Oakley Beginner

The rivets are not that hard to punch out if you know what you are doing. I was a watchmaker for a while, and have a staking set, which is really what oakley's "special tool" for removing them is (they are not cheap though, around $800 for a new one). Other than that it is really a matter of getting the rubber washers. They are hard to get from Oakley, and while I've heard of a few aftermarket options I don't know of any reliable source.

4. BriP

BriP X-Metalhead

luckily Oakley still warranties them currently.. but soon either i'll have to learn how to or find someone reliable to do it..

5. the_jury

the_jury Oakley Beginner

there's a guy at ebay.ph charging at Php2000. he has a good feedback on fixing it

6. BriP

BriP X-Metalhead

yeah but that sounds like the phillipines to me. im not gonna send my Penny's all the way over there just for FlexCouplers!