• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Details On Penny Frame Problem, Please?

Jruta

Oakley Beginner
Ok, i know I've brought this up before, but as far as the nose bridge goes on Pennys, whats beyond the rivets?? Anyone know whats inside the frame pieces that loosens up? There MUST be some type of rubber or plastic sleeve thats held tightly by the rivets. I ask this because eventually oakley will no longer service these, and i dont know about anyone else, but i plan on keeping mine LONG after oakley wont take care of them any longer. I want to learn to tune them up myself.

There is an eyelet attached to the orbital. There is an oval rubber washer that goes around the eyelet when the orbital is attached to the nosebridge the rivet goes through and holds them together. Similar to a cotter pin. The frames loosen because the rubber gasket stretches and flattens out, thus creating more flex at the pivot point. Think of the gasket as a buffer to a linkage...

The rivets are not that hard to punch out if you know what you are doing. I was a watchmaker for a while, and have a staking set, which is really what oakley's "special tool" for removing them is (they are not cheap though, around $800 for a new one). Other than that it is really a matter of getting the rubber washers. They are hard to get from Oakley, and while I've heard of a few aftermarket options I don't know of any reliable source.

Back