• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Determining Nose Bridge Play..

-=Jeff=-

Oakley Expert
How much play is in the Nose bridge on a new pair? Also what is acceptable and what is too loose?

I think my XX are loose, not too bad, but not as tight as my Juliet pair. Just trying to gauge what is good vs what is bad.

been wearing my Juliets with the VR28 Black Iridium Polarized lenses more and more, I like that lens color more and more everytime I wear them.

honestly, as long as they sit on your face and are snug, and dont fall off, thats what you want. if it falls off, thats too loose. My penny, when i got them, had totally dead flex couplers, and just wouldnt hold on to my head. and the orbitals flopped around like a dead fish.. haha. as if there was no rubber there at all. so i sent them to be serviced..

i dont think wether its 'factory tight' is a big deal.. what matters is that it works. ive got a few x-metals, and my daily juliets are the loosest - they flex with alot less effort than when it was new. that being said, they dont flop around and still hold up well, so theres plenty left in them before a tune-up.

again, if you treat them right, it'll last a fair while =) hope this puts your mind to rest on your XX's! Ive got a beater pair on the way to me (should have been here by now) and I'm excited to get them!

Yep it helps, just trying to gauge when the point to send them in for a tune up is.. I think it is actually getting close to tune up time. They are comfortable, but maybe a touch loose.. but will check them again..

Thanks

Generally I start to mind it when I can hold a pair by the orbital and it makes a clicking sound when gently shaken. That said I've seen plenty of brand new ones do that, and like BriP mentioned it's not really a functional problem until they are falling off your head.

If they start becoming unsightly and sag significantly when not worn then I'd send them in, but anything before I'd say is premature.

Hello all, I had the same question, but more specifically the play around the RIVET's axis-of-rotation. I got a new replacement frame from Oakley for my juliets (kept my same old lens, just new frame). While the flex-coupler itself is nice and tight (hugging the skull) when I'm wearing them, there is play on the axis of rotation on the rivet. Picture this: If I was to hold one of the orbitals, and gently shake the glasses (up and down movement) I would hear a slight clicking noise...its caused by the inside orbital hitting the nosebridge piece, due to rotating along the rivet axis. Its not super loose but its not tight either....is this normal? I noticed it more on the RIGHT side..the left side is more snug.(see picture)

wiggle.jpg

Attachments

• wiggle.jpg
    wiggle.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 1,172
Back