• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Did People Commonly Fake 1st Gens?

rightcoastnj

Oakley Expert
nj
So I bought a pair of 1st gens online that looked authentic to me.. upon receiving them, there are a few questions about their authenticity that I have spoken to Romeo VanFrogkinstein about.. but I was curious if anyone had any more details about fakes from that area.

The reason these frogs are in question is :
The inside of the right earstem DOES say Oakley Frogskins, but does not have a TM on it..however, the stems both do say Japan at the bottom ends.
The pair is matte white w/ matte black stems. Apparently this colorway was never released from Oakley, but is it possible someone couldve swapped the frames?
The hinges, lettering (Oakley) and bolts all look to be identical to my other 1st gens.
The frame itself, particularly above the nose bridge, is smaller, and the frame is narrower than my other frogs.
Could these have been an early release or a custom order or something?
Looking for any and all info!

eja6y8y4.jpg
i realize that but i dont have them on me.. this is the only pic i have right now:

im fairly sure that asian fit wasnt around back in the 80's.. if anything, i would think the nose bridge would be a little wider if that were the case..

I saw these on my local craiglist - I spoke to the seller asking if he had maybe made a mashup of a white pair and black pair at some point in time, but claimed he bought them like that and that "he wasn't a 12 year old child, to try and swap out pieces" - I was really skeptical about his response so I stayed away.

I'd say from all the things you've said, Japan embossing on both stems, maybe not so much the absence of the TM, but all the other factors; suggest its prob a replica. Obviously a hybrid of two pairs is more than likely, but dual Japan embossing is very strange. That kind of redundancy is completely unnecessary from a product stand point. Not to mention, I don't think anyone familiar with Frogskins have ever seen embossing on the left earstem.

yea it seems that I actually got a fake.. bummer. I got the seller to refund me half of my money on them but that was it. He swear he bought them original in the 80's. Who knows.

Latest Posts

Back