• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

did you go to college?

There was a time I considered enlisting; from my JROTC experience every branch offered to start me as E3 except the Marines, who would only start me as E2...

But a moot point; I didn't serve.
JROTC has always entitled you to an uplift upon graduation...

example, everyone goes to MCRD as a recruit...once you graduate bootcamp, you earn your title as Marine and your rank, even if you're a Private...

The Platoon Guide will get an uplift in rank
The Recruit with the highest PFT will get an uplift in rank upon graduation
The Recruit with the highest Rifle Range Score in the ENTIRE BATTALION will also get an uplift upon graduation
The Recruit with the JROTC certificate in high school will also get an uplift upon graduation

guess who got promoted because he shot a 244 on the Rifle Range in bootcamp !??! yep, that was me...

I out shot what I guessed to be roughly 640-650 recruits from the western part of the United States :)

I graduated Private First Class (E2) :taunt:

Last edited:
JROTC has always entitled you to an uplift upon graduation...

example, everyone goes to MCRD as a recruit...once you graduate bootcamp, you earn your title as Marine and your rank, even if you're a Private...

The Platoon Leader will get an uplift in rank
The Recruit with the highest PFT will get an uplift in rank upon graduation
The Recruit with the highest Rifle Range Score in the ENTIRE BATTALION will also get an uplift upon graduation
The Recruit with the JROTC certificate in high school will also get an uplift upon graduation

guess who got promoted because he shot a 244 on the Rifle Range in bootcamp !??! yep, that was me...

I out shot what I guessed to be roughly 640-650 recruits from the western part of the United States :)

I graduated Private First Class (E2) :taunt:

I got like a 94 on the ASVAB and it was years before the recruiters finally stopped calling me...

here are a couple pictures of a Marine Corps Bootcamp graduation picture...

you'll notice the only person in the platoon with Dress Blues is the Platoon Guide...

pb020113m.JPG

1133247006.jpg

8902075.jpg

this picture right here is awesome...

Senior Drill Instructors relieving the Platoon Guide's duties by accepting their Guideons...

hires_100813-D-7203C-016.JPG

That's still pretty good. Minimum for the Marines is 32...
I wasn't the smartest person on earth, but I made C's and B's my senior year - I concentrated more on playing baseball and banging broads all the time so I didn't put too much stock into my education...

just a normal ass dude that thought he was an ass kicker that needed more ass kicking...

Not sure how we went from did you go to college to DIs but as long as we're on the subject I'll say this. The Corp is about honor and commitment, respect and hard work. They don't give you the title of US Marine. You earn it. In life when you give people everything they respect nothing. Every walk of life has its share of leeches. Slackers who don't pull their weight. Maggots who cut corners and take advantage of people and situations. DIs aren't screaming at you because they don't like you. It's because well trained individuals react predictively even under harsh circumstances. In the real world no one dies from not listening. In combat however not listening can get you as well as others killed. The Marine Corp pushes you to be the best you can be. My Dad passed a few years back. He never talked much about his time in Korea. One day he called me asking why one of his buddies got killed instead of him. I didn't have an answer for him but it taught me something about him as a soldier as well as a man. You see most anyone in the military is affected by it. Many suffer long after the shells and gunfire stop. To anyone who served I say this. Freedom is not without a price. With great responsibility comes great sacrifice. Make every minute count. Have a purpose each day. Do the right thing and never be afraid to take risks to prove what's right. People have often asked me why I choose the hard road in life. I've often wondered, What makes them think I saw two paths in the first place?

Back