1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. redhot

redhot Oakley Beginner

how can u tell the difference between an oakley plasma & xmetal frames?

can u please help me identify if this is a xmetal or plasma frame? i had different opinions from friends.

Difference Bet. Plasma & Xmetal Frames - 1zpmwir.jpg
    Difference Bet. Plasma & Xmetal Frames - 312u0i1.jpg

Durty66 likes this.
    Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. hearno

hearno Oakley Collector

those are plasma. plasma is a smooth almost shiny finish. x-metal is a dark raw finish.

3. qtrain23

qtrain23 3D Printing Protege

Def plasma.

4. Uluahunter

Uluahunter Oakley Collector

Just from the photo, this looks to be a Plasma frame. X-Metal finishes have a raw metal look with a slightly rough texture, and are a couple of shades darker than plasma. You can also tell for sure by serial #'s...look here: The Oakley Review - Wiki (Serial_List)

5. redhot

redhot Oakley Beginner

i don't have the box with me. this was given as a gift. i went to an oakley store and they told me it's xmetal. but a couple of friends told me otherwise, hence the confusion. i was told the original lens of this juliet was a ruby iridium. now it's an emerald iridium.

thanks for clearing that up guys! :)

6. xmetalmaniac

xmetalmaniac Made of Metal Premium Member Lifetime Member

It's true it's an "X metal" frame. But it's color is plasma. In essence you have an X Metal Juliet in Plasma.....

7. hearno

hearno Oakley Collector

hence his username... also, if they came with ruby, it was thru OCP as plasma was never issued with ruby, only fire, ice, titanium, violet, and emerald.

8. Uluahunter

Uluahunter Oakley Collector

Or it could've been that the original owner had the stock emerald in it, swapped in ruby's and swapped back the emerald's before giving it away to him as a gift, LOL. Wait....you got this as a gift?!?!?! Nice score!

Here's how you may be able to tell for sure...look on the inside of the left ear stem, nearest to the hinge...is there an alphanumeric serial number (usually 8 digits long)? In your case, it may look like...JExxxxxx, this is for "J"uliet "E"merald and "xxxxxx" the numbered production copy. If it is JExxxxxx, then you know that this was an original plasma frame with emerald iridium lenses. If there isn't a serial number, then you have a frame that was issued after 2003, when they stop serializing frames...and it would make it more difficult to tell what lenses actually came stock in your frame (could possibly be a custom pair like hearno said).

9. xmetalmaniac

DAMN! Lets have a scotch and a cigar and talk for awhile brotha!!! I was thinking about it but to tired to type it....Thanks for the added info..... I must be slacking

10. xmetalmaniac

DAMN! Lets have a scotch and a cigar and talk for awhile brotha!!! I was thinking about it but to tired to type it....Thanks for the added info..... I must be slacking