1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. qtrain23

qtrain23 3D Printing Protege

What does the OO in Oakley lenses mean? What is the difference between OO and Regular Oakley lenses?

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. dann

dann Oakley Beginner

OO originally appeared on the late 90's OO wires designed by Michael Jordan. However those have since gone away save for a brief appearance on an Ichiro Juliet (which I'm not convinced is really the same, but it's not the normal Blue Iridium). The recent OO polarized line uses the same Iridium as the Namesake (Black, +Red) but uses a G40 base instead of the standard Grey.

3. qtrain23

Ah. Explains the contrast difference.

4. dann

dann Oakley Beginner

Pretty much. It's a boost from the neutral options.

5. qtrain23

Probably gonna cut some for my R1

6. The Raven

The Raven Oakley Beginner

OO simply means it's a GXX base lens instead of a grey base. The Iridium coating used is (apparently) irrelevant as there are +Red and Black Iridium OO polarized lenses.

7. dann

dann Oakley Beginner

Iridium is generally irrelevant, but a highly reflective lens is inherently going to filter certain wavelengths from passing through even if the base isn't, which is why Ruby and +Red look slightly different than Black or Emerald.

8. OakleyBoss

OakleyBoss Moderator Staff Member Administrator

Definitely agree with what everyone said. I have a pair of OO Polarized Iridiums in my fast jackets that I got mainly for golf. The GXX base enhances the contrast better on the golf course, IMO.

9. dann

dann Oakley Beginner

I'm pretty sure it's just G40, as G26 isn't really used outside specific M Frames (and goes hand in hand with it's iridium), and G20/G30 combos usually go by name (G20/G30 Black Iridium, G30 Titanium Iridium).

10. OFather

OFather Oakley Beginner

dann : Where is this info on OO lenses from? What is your source?