• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Difference Between Transitions SOLFX And Photochromic?

Clear to black, while in the car would be clear, or at least pretty light. Car windows have UV filters ever since they started going to multi-layer laminates.

They're specialized toward sports like biking where the course/trail may transition to shade or clouds or the sun sets and you can't stop to change lenses.

If they triggered with normal light they'd tint all of the time from indoor lighting.

Clear to black, while in the car would be clear, or at least pretty light. Car windows have UV filters ever since they started going to multi-layer laminates.

They're specialized toward sports like biking where the course/trail may transition to shade or clouds or the sun sets and you can't stop to change lenses.

If they triggered with normal light they'd tint all of the time from indoor lighting.
Gotcha. So in essence, if I'm driving with them on, I might as well not be wearing anything at all since they'd be clear. They'd do nothing to tone down the brightness outside?

In other words, I should just got for a slate iridium. LOL

You're looking at a 40% or 50% minimum tint, so better than clear.

I have a VR50 lens (not a transition) and it's not fun to wear on a sunny day, it doesn't help much.

You're looking at a 40% or 50% minimum tint, so better than clear.

I have a VR50 lens (not a transition) and it's not fun to wear on a sunny day, it doesn't help much.
I'm definitely looking for something to wear on cloudy/overcast days which is why I initially thought of the Slate Iridium but then wondered if something with a transition lens might work.

I just picked up a set of Radarlocks with a Clear Black Iridium Photochromic lens not too long ago. My main intention with these is to use them while cycling or running, and for that I think they do that job great. I tried them out the other day on a quick run, where I live is mostly cloudy with some patches of sun. These adapted in a minute or so, but didn't get very dark so to speak. However they are great at providing just the right amount of tint. Basically the tint will depend on the UV intensity, and I feel that these do a good job of providing the best amount of tint for the light provided. So essentially, the glasses are never too dark or too light. And I personally like that.

For people that have sensitive eyes these might not get dark enough for your needs. However I have no eye problems and I love them. I've been slowly adapting to lighter lenses actually, and I very rarely wear anything darker than 15%.

So after a while they just stop transitioning between light and dark?

No, the transition is slower and may not get as dark and/or get as clear as they did when new.

This is from the Transitions lens website: Transitions lenses are designed to outlast the typical lifetime of a prescription, which on average is approximately two years. Just as with other products you may use daily, including ordinary eyeglass lenses, the conditions the lenses are designed to perform within, over an extended period of time (beyond the typical lifespan of a prescription), may contribute to the fatigue and wear of the lenses and may contribute to changes in the level of darkness and time the lenses take to darken and fade back to clear.

So in essence, if I'm driving with them on, I might as well not be wearing anything at all since they'd be clear. They'd do nothing to tone down the brightness outside? LOL

Yes. I picked up a pair of Racing Jackets (New) with the Photochromic lenses last week. I put them on in my car to try out and they were as clear as my windshield. Didn't block any sun at all. I immediately took them off and put my Juliets back on, LOL!

Yes. I picked up a pair of Racing Jackets (New) with the Photochromic lenses last week. I put them on in my car to try out and they were as clear as my windshield. Didn't block any sun at all. I immediately took them off and put my Juliets back on, LOL!
I'm definitely thinking about abandoning transitional lenses, I think. I think I'll just go for something like a Slate.

Back