• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Differences in sizing between 1st generation frogskins.

Soulfulfrog

みんなに優しく
Staff member
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Georgetown, ON.
I have a quick question about 1st generation frogskins. I recently have purchased quite a few pairs of 1st gens. (13 pairs in 5 months). All but 2 are normal size. I bought a pair of matte red and wild berry and milk and they are smaller. The lenses and the frames. Comparing them with all my others I found it strange. Has anyone ever come across thses 2 different sizes in the first gens. Really everything on them seems correct just the lenses and legs are smaller all the way down to the japan stamp and even the hinge screws. Odd. Please help thanks in advance.

1438399955474-1602104773.jpg

I have a quick question about 1st generation frogskins. I recently have purchased quite a few pairs of 1st gens. (13 pairs in 5 months). All but 2 are normal size. I bought a pair of matte red and wild berry and milk and they are smaller. The lenses and the frames. Comparing them with all my others I found it strange. Has anyone ever come across thses 2 different sizes in the first gens. Really everything on them seems correct just the lenses and legs are smaller all the way down to the japan stamp and even the hinge screws. Odd. Please help thanks in advance.

View attachment 168731
You may need to post other pictures ... It's hard to tell from the angles provided and we haven't seen your matte red frame either...

Your right. Sorry I should have posted more photos. See the two pairs on the bottom. For some reason the lenses are smaller and even the frames slightly. When I received each of them I was so disapointed. It's almost impossible to tell the difference unless they are up against a regular pair of gen 1s. Please anyone who knowk I'd love an explanation. I couldn't replace the lenses in these as i did the others. I hope you all can see the difference between them in the photos. Thanks again

1438425933676-1200821610.jpg

1438425966601369649850.jpg

14384260872361190167321.jpg

1438426112038302002872.jpg

1438426144353-1602104773.jpg

Your right. Sorry I should have posted more photos. See the two pairs on the bottom. For some reason the lenses are smaller and even the frames slightly. When I received each of them I was so disapointed. It's almost impossible to tell the difference unless they are up against a regular pair of gen 1s. Please anyone who knowk I'd love an explanation. I couldn't replace the lenses in these as i did the others. I hope you all can see the difference between them in the photos. Thanks again

View attachment 168826

View attachment 168827

View attachment 168828

View attachment 168829

View attachment 168830
That's kinda of crazy ... Lousy manufacturing tolerances?

The only time I seen frames totally different shapes/sizes is when the lenses were inserted incorrectly and applied pressure on the frame and misshaped it ... :(

Do you have pictures of the boxes, papers and bags? They look legit?

I don't and they didn't come with. Everything I see I legit as well. It's strange that both the pink and red are different but the lenses fit in each others. It's a shame because when I purchased the matte red right after my royal blue I was so excited. Huge disappointment when I trying replacement lenses. More than likely I'll sell them both as I don't want them near my others. I heard from an oakley rep once that they originally made an Asian style fit but we're very limited. Perhaps I've scored those but I just don't want them. There are very small differences I know to look for now in the vintage when I see them on ebay. 1 the curve of them is more noticeable and 2 each leg has a slight angle at the hinge. Thanks for responding.

Back