1. Want to see less ads, private areas and be able to post? Register Today to receive all these benefits and more!
Dismiss Notice

Want to see less ads, post content and the ability to buy & sell Oakleys?

Register Today or Login

1. iamFLIP

iamFLIP [{#%^*+_\|~<>?!$&@}] Premium Member

From a picture, what are these black stuff around the orbital of a plasma Juliet -- dirt? discolorations? ???

Dirt or discoloration or ???? - juliet.jpg

Shade Station Oakley Sunglasses

Register to Not see this ad
  2. kronin323

kronin323 Font of Useless Knowledge Premium Member

Most likely corrosion. If it cleans it's dirt, but if all you have to go off of is pics, most likely corrosion. Refinish pair; $200 - $250 max, depending on other stuff...

3. iamFLIP

Additional info: plasma/emerald, glasses-only, rubber looks sticky from other pictures. I don't know if serialized or not. Need a tune up, too.

4. kronin323

Condition of lenses?

5. iamFLIP

I'd be very surprised if the lenses are in good condition as claimed by the seller. Looking at the pictures, the black stuff on the orbitals and the sticky rubbers shows that the pair weren't taken cared of. I may be wrong, of course. Let's just say the lenses need replacement.

6. kronin323

I stick with my $200 - $250, but closer to $200.

Top price for a complete, pristine set of these - $450. Subtract $90 for custom cut non-polar lenses, $90 for refinish/tuneup, $50 (conservatively) for box/coin (if you care...), $10 for rubbers (aside from t-shocks you can still buy replacement rubbers from Oakley for $10...) and you get $210 value.

But if you buy them for $210 and spend the listed amounts to "recover" them, the best you'll get is $350, in current market. So these are a project pair good for customizing but not good for a ROI.

KillerCollector and DG85 like this.
  7. iamFLIP

@kronin323 Thank you so much for all that info.

8. OakleyGuru379

OakleyGuru379 What is that thing?!

Most likely doo-doo. Clean before wearing.

9. DG85

DG85 Oakley Enthusiast

Spot on valuation.

A whole overhaul is needed, I wouldn't wear those even as beaters. Best left for a one-off customization. So long as the appropriate t-shox came with, $180-220 depending on my actual need in that moment.

10. discostu

discostu Oakley Expert Premium Member

That looks every bit like a first gen plasma and that kind of wear/fading/pitting is very common for this finish. You cannot clean it off so a refinish would be an option if you wanted them back to an even colour or just a simple tune up if they're going to be a daily pair. For myself I would leave them alone, as the first gens have their own personality with the rough casting and I love the feel of the smooth coating.