• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Disappointed In The New +Red

Southtown57

Oakley Beginner
So I was at my Oakley Vault looking at some holbrooks. I was thinking about getting a pair with the +Red Iridium lens. They just got their shipment of the new crystal black frames with ice, violet, +red, and emerald holbrooks. I was surprised (in a bad way) to see the new crystal/+red combo.

Here are the two +red holbrooks I was looking at:

mattered_zps96b3be79.jpg

red_zps7a4132ca.jpg

The new crystal frames with +red looked nothing like the +red in the matte black frames or any other +red in other frames. Even the vault employees were surprised to see the difference between the two holbrooks. Even though the pictures above portray the same color lens the crystal frame's +red was almost the exact shade of violet iridium only turning red from extreme angles. Looking straight on they look violet. They were on display but I asked if they had them in the back because it looked like violet in the case. Well inspecting their origins, the older model matte frame/+red holbrook was made in the USA while the new crystal frame/+red holbrooks were made in China. Kind of disappointed Oakley is going this route. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the difference.

what? their making the O matter in china now? first the wires and now the O matter? shameful!

That's what the Oakley employee said. He had the crystal black/+red in his hands while I was looking at the matte/+red's. But what's weird is if you look above at Oakley's pic off their site you can see the (made in the USA) on the crystal frame so who knows. But the +red was completely different on the crystal frames.

That's what the Oakley employee said. He had the crystal black/+red in his hands while I was looking at the matte/+red's. But what's weird is if you look above at Oakley's pic off their site you can see the (made in the USA) on the crystal frame so who knows. But the +red was completely different on the crystal frames.
I noticed how violet they were too when I checked them out, so its not just the pair you saw. Not sure if it is just a variance in this frame/lens combo of if they are changing how the +Red looks for good. Hopefully not a company wide color change though, I really love the look of the +Red iridium on both the +red lenses and OO red lenses.

I noticed how violet they were too when I checked them out, so its not just the pair you saw. Not sure if it is just a variance in this frame/lens combo of if they are changing how the +Red looks for good. Hopefully not a company wide color change though, I really love the look of the +Red iridium on both the +red lenses and OO red lenses.

I love the look of the original +red too. Sad to see it change.

I need to get some "Old" +red lens right now then! This is one of the most sick lenses that oakley makes, i hope they don't mess it up.

Stock up cause if this is a all out +red change then it should now be called violet iridium ver. 2.0

Back