• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Dish soap + polarized lense = coating coming off

Frank makes a good point - the damage may have already been done before the cleaning, the cleaning is just what showed it.

OK Frank you've finally qualified for 15 useful posts... :hi:
Holy crap!

First I would like to thank Kronin for sifting through all the posts to determine what would qualify as useful.

And the I would like to thank...... Well thank you. :cry:

:rofl:

I have cleaned sweat off my lens on my radar after 2 years(sorry I don't have an x-metal but it's still oakley lens). None of the coating has peeled, and I used hand soap, rubbing it with my hands, dont seem to see any peeling. There was a thick layer of sweat and dirt built up on the bottom where it touches my cheek, but I do find it strange when mine is considerably an older lens and it doesn't happen to me.

Edit: typo

It doesn't happen with every lens; in fact it doesn't happen with most of them. But it does happen, just throw some keywords in the forum search and you'll find plenty of discussion on the topic.

So either you let your lenses get gunked up and risk the AR peeling or you keep them clean preventatively. Whatever floats your boat.

Back